Topic

Minimal Bug Protection?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJul 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I'm thinking of going with an even lighter hammock setup for my bike tour by bringing an UL DIY hammock and a tarp instead of my full Hennessy. I can save weight by getting rid of the extra line, heavier paracord, and bulky straps by going DIY with lighter materials. It's mostly out of boredom and the rush of a new project.

My question is this: What's your most minimalist setup for bug protection? I've heard horror stories about mosquitos in Canada. Can I get by with a bug headnet, or is there a bug net "tube" I can lay in inside my hammock? Is there a simple gathered-end noseeum net that I can rig around a gathered end hammock that will ultimately weigh the same or less than my Hennessy's sewn-in net?

Would love more info on this. If I figure out this project in the next three weeks, it comes with me. Cheers!

PostedJul 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I like it, but it's so pricey! Is that the only manufacturer of something like that?

I may ignore the price… it's so perfect… but the MYOG forum guys might talk me into trying to make my own.

spelt with a t BPL Member
PostedJul 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Papa Smurf (Randy at Dream Hammock) used to offer a tulle version of his bug sock, <5 oz. Tulle isn't noseeum proof, though, so I'd check your route and conditions before contacting him. Otherwise the HUG is going to be your lightest choice. The lightest full coverage noseeum nets are about 7 oz. I think the Warbonnet Traveller net is 7.2 oz.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...