Topic

Make UL lantern out of headlamp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make UL lantern out of headlamp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

I love my H51w Zebralight, but I missed having a lantern to use while in the tent to be able to see with out holding or wearing the headlamp.

Any ideas to make one that doesn't mind being crushed and is really light? (No pun intended. ;) haha)

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've seen people make origami paper lanterns for their lights (you can use wax paper maybe, for some water resistance). You can also cut off a finger of some white rubber/nitrile/latex gloves to use (it's what I use). Or a ping pong ball with a cutout to fit your light.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You have a water bottle, right? Just aim the headlamp into the side of the water bottle.

–B.G.–

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Put a little cup of aluminum foil in a corner or at the peak of your tent. Aim the flashlight at it.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Are you aware of this:
    It is a crushable lantern shade (0.18 oz) designed to use your headlamp.

Here is the link: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=52&p_id=1124462

Montbell Lantern

Buy it from Montbell, or make a version for yourself.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I've used expanded polythene foam sheet & block for all sort of uses, for years, and the white, thin sheet (2-3mm) version makes a good diffuser for a headtorch. Same principle as the MontBell thing.

Salvage from packaging, or laminate flooring underlay.

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

I think I'll try the wax paper tonight. Might also try using my bowl and see if that works. That Montbell one would be perfect, but not so keen on spending $15 for it, maybe $5.

Chris Stafford

@chrisman2013

I use Platypus bottles when on the trail, and have found that I can set my headlamp in the small cavity underneath the bottle. I make sure the light is directed into the bottle and it makes a great diffuser that lights up the campsite well.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You could try using a ping pong ball.
    Diffuser
    Easy to do for a torch but maybe it can work for you too.
    Blu Tack or Velcro could be used to keep it in place if you cannot slide it in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools