Topic

Garmin Adds High Sensitivity GPS Receiver to eTrex® Series

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Garmin Adds High Sensitivity GPS Receiver to eTrex® Series

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

OLATHE, Kan./May 31, 2007/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today announced it has refreshed its eTrex series by adding a high sensitivity GPS receiver to this popular line of outdoor handheld devices. The new models include the eTrex Vista® HCx, eTrex Legend® HCx, eTrex Summit® HC, eTrex Venture® HC and eTrex® H. In addition, Garmin has unveiled a new way to load geocaches to the eTrex series and many other Garmin handhelds.

“The eTrex series is the ideal compact guide to the great outdoors, and now with the high sensitivity GPS receiver users will be able to acquire and maintain a GPS fix more easily,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “The eTrex series is also fully compatible with myGarmin’s new Go Geocaching feature that makes loading geocaches a snap.”

Read the full Press Release

Most of the new models are in the Mapping Handhelds lineup.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I must have spent too much time analyzing engineering requirements, because this claim does not impress me. And I own 4 Garmin GPSs so I'm not critical of the products. But how much more sensitive? 0.00001%? And in what conditions? Couldn't find the answers on garmin.com.
    I'm too young to be a curmudgeon but these vague 'better' claims just don't blow my hair back nor make me want to buy a 5th Garmin (incidentally, 2 are for sale on ebay :)

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

I'm pretty sure that Garmin's definition of "high sensistivity receiver" is the SiRFstar III chip. I think the two are equivalent in Garmin's marketing terms.

That said, on http://www.sirf.com I note that there are 3 different chips using the "SiRFstar III architecture".

FWIW :)

Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

From the Garmin site: "Deep foliage, nor canyons phase (sic) the rugged eTrex Vista HCx. Its high-sensitivity receiver holds a GPS signal in the toughest environments."

These new units may or may not be using SiRF chipsets, but that's not important if the performance is as good. I doubt that market-leading Garmin would make a statement like this if it weren't true. Interestingly, all verbal references to SiRF technology seem to have been removed from the Garmin website.

Now for $160 less than the cost of a 60CSx, the Vista HCx offers almost equivalent features and performance and with a weight savings of 2 oz and better battery life. All you give up is tide tables and a bit of screen area.

(shouldn't that be "faze"?? :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools