Anyone have any experience taping M50 & M90 with cuben fiber tape?
Topic
Can I Tape M50 with 3M tape
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Kevin,
I have used those fabrics and 3M tape, but never together. What is your application? In other words, how strong does the bond need to be?
Ryan
Ryan,
Taping m50 to .74 cuben
I spoke with Joe at Zpacks and he said it works reasonably well,but with lower holding power.
Obviously it sticks to Cuben but it is weaker on the M50.
I tested it on my Borah Bivy m50 and it sticks OKish.
That was my guess. Would stick OK, but with less holding power. Good info to have.
Ryan
Never used tape. Don't know what kind of seam you have in mind.
Is it possible to sandwich the M50 between two lines of tape. Where you may have used one line with cuben/cuben, reinforce the M50cuben with either another complete line or bits here and there to strengthen things..?
I figure you might use the fabric equivalent of a butt joint ?
ohh.. maybe this isn't tape to join the pieces of fabric but tape to seal a sewn seam ?
My 2 cents. Not answering your question directly, but better off gluing it with a urethane glue like McNett Aquaseal or loctite hysol.
Both pretty nasty to work with as far as getting it on your hands and whatnot.
I did a bunch of tests with Aquaseal a few of years ago, gluing this to that, and all materials glued including sil nylon and cuben the glue joint was stronger than the material.
The only thing that did not work too well was poly window film. The glue held but would peal off with enough force.
"a urethane glue like McNett Aquaseal or loctite hysol."
"Both pretty nasty to work with as far as getting it on your hands and whatnot."
I'm not so worried about skin, but how about nylon fabric? Is there a good solvent or cleaner that will attack this stuff?
–B.G.–
Become a member to post in the forums.

