Topic

7d material EE quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

Does anyone have experience with 7d material for the inside, outside or both of an Enlightened Equipment quilt.

”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

I’ve been considering buying a new Enlightened equipment Revelation quilt with the 7d material for the inside and the outside.

Does anyone have experience or advice with how this material will be as a quilt material ?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

since no one answered, I made a quilt with 0.7 membrane nylon on the inside.  It’s good but I’m careful with it.  I have M50 on the outside which is the same weight.  Again, it’s okay but you have to be careful not to snag it on something.  A mouse ate a couple holes which I patched with Seam Grip.

Those fabrics are similar to 7D

”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

Thank you, for that information.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

+1 on the need to know about 7d fabric on the EE quilts.
    is the lack of answers comes from the fact that people are not choosing this option and going for the more robust fabrics? hmm

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

7D is nice to save weight. I worry more about camping style that may/may not leave parts of the quilt on the ground/floor. This is not a big deal, but neither is the weight savings. For UL travel, I usually just bring a tarp. I have my raingear that doubles as a ground cloth, but this is not full length. I was using a ~2oz piece of 3mil plastic for those times I have to set up on wet ground. I usually get a full season out of a single 8’x4′ piece, but only use this 8-10 times per year.

Anyway, the quilt is not recommended for on the ground, even with 10D fabric. It can pick up twigs, pine needles, etc from the ground putting small holes in the fabric. This will accelerate wear. So, 10D is just a better choice for these conditions. 7D, my down sweater (jacket) is the SUL 7D fabric, and has several patches on it. I rather doubt it will hold up to extensive use like a quilt (~8hrs per day.) For the inside liner, it would work OK, I think. Usually, my footbox is wrapped around my feet/lower legs, so the outside layer needs to be somewhat heavier for UL travel.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

is the lack of answers comes from the fact that people are not choosing this option and going for the more robust fabrics? hmm

The 7D option was made available quite recently.  I don’t think many people have tried it out yet.  Quilts are expensive so few are going to buy a new quilt just for the lighter fabric unless they need a new one.

David M
    BPL Member

@davidmizelle

Just bought a 7D in/out Revelation 30 degree, can report back after giving it a test run whenever it gets here (will probably be awhile).

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’ve had a 7d EE quilt for almost two years now. No holes, no patches, no issues.

I’ve used it pretty hard – it’s my “mountaineering” quilt. Sometimes in a bivy sack, sometimes under a pyramid tarp (with a very thin ground cloth, like a polycro).

I’m much harder on my insulated jackets than I am on my quilts, so 7d seems like a good option for a quilt unless (maybe?) you are forgoing a ground cloth, which I do on occasion.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Ryan,

the 7d APEX quilt we made you has 2 versions of the 7D where the down quilt just had the “correct” version. We initially had supply issues and they sent us two different finishes in the same batch on our first order. The liner of your APEX quilt is the “wrong” version as it isn’t down proof and is much more breathable. Did you notice any issues related to the two different styles of fabric?  We didn’t understand this situation when we made your quilts as it was the first we opened any fabric that was “wrong”. Out of that 1000yd order only 250yd was “correct”, it just happened to be the first roll we opened. All that has been resolved and it’s all coming in good now. I’m just curious if it was even noticeable.

-Tim

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’ve got a EE Revelation quilt with 7D inside and out. I think it’s great. If you take care of your gear the 7D is going to hold up just fine. Just avoid doing silly stuff like dragging it around camp. Keep it in your tent. I’m at about 20-30 nights on mine and I have no reason to think I’ll ever wear it out.

Adroit
    BPL Member

@adroit

Locale: Northeast US

Another question about the 7D…

For a 30* Enigma with 950 down, using 7D on the inside, would it be better to have 10D on the outside for more heat retention? Or would it be better to have the 7D on the outside to allow your body heat to push the moisture out a little easier?

I know the 10D will not make the quilt warmer, but the 7D material should be more breathable. I am wondering which would be more advantageous.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools