Topic

7D in a bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Was reading about the 7D fabric in a quilt and got curious if anyone has it in the recon bivy…It saves a bit over an ounce in weight. Wondering if such a light material on the top of a bivy has advantages or disadvantages other than wear and tear???

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

A good light fabric. But, I would not recommend it for heavy duty use. A bivy with a heavier floor sounds like a good application. However, it is not waterproof, only water resistant.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

I have! Nunatak Gear made me a short-sleeved, short and narrow APEX Raku with a normal-style hood made with the 7D shell. At some point I’m going to tape or seal the seams. I had it made this way so that if would serve as a bivy, a sleeping bag, and an insulation piece for fastpacking and ultra races. I have a cuben bivy from Borah Gear made from RSBTR’s 1.4 oz. 10D WPB material (not sure if this is the same as EE’s 10D option), and initially was going to have the Raku made with this material, but Nunatak made some good points in favor of the 7D; I avoid precipitation on these types of trips/runs, and the 7D material should be able to handle short downpours and light rain. Worst case scenario, the wet APEX should still keep me warm. I took it on my first fastpacking trip last weekend and we slept 20 feet from the Rogue River the second night and I had zero condensation (But I was also cowboy camping and had my VBL rain pants and jacket on). I’m taking it to the SoCal desert and Sierras for next weekend’s fastpacking trip so I’ll be testing it out again there. I have not tested it out in rain yet, but I don’t think it would hold up in a torrential, long downpour, given its hydrostatic head. I interpreted RSBTR’s specs as an HH of a minimum of 1,000mm, so if your bivy won’t see constant rain, you’re probably good. You’ll definitely be fine if you’re coupling the bivy with a tarp. The material feels fairly soft and comfy for a durable shell, but I still used a groundsheet on both nights, and intend to do so on all future multi-day runs, since this was a pretty penny. ;) I think the 10D feels slightly more durable and it has a greater hydrostatic head, but it’s also heavier, has a plasticy feel, and is less breathable. With the cuben bottom and no VBL clothing, my friend who borrowed my 10D bivy on last weekend’s trip got a lot of condensation dripping from the shell. But in my own experience with this material with good site placement and no VBL clothing, I haven’t had much if any condensation with this bivy, even with the cuben bottom. Her experience was probably just caused by sleeping next to the river. Personally, I’d go with the 7D if you’re not expecting heavy precipitation on your trips or if you’re planning on also using a tarp. But I don’t have any actual experience with this material in rain; I am just going off of the vague spec of a HH “>1,000mm” on RSBTR’s website. I believe Nunatak has had more experience with this material, and they’ve been super helpful in answering my Qs. You might shoot them an email! Or straight from the source: RSBTR has always been helpful and quick to respond. The material also has a few reviews from actual buyers. Maybe that’ll give you more info? Good luck and happy hiking!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have an M50 bivy on the top.  0.7 oz/yd2, so about the same as 7D.  Is M50 7D?

Anyway, I’ve used that for years, no problem.  Except where the mouse ate a couple holes in it which I patched.  I’m fairly careful.

Silnylon (1.5 oz/yd2) on the bottom.  7D probably not good for that unless you had a groundcloth/floor.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Thanks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Ryan,

Nobody here is actually talking about the 7D we offer in our quilts and bivys. One guy was talking about floor fabrics and another about WPB, our 7D Robic Nylon is neither of these.

If you want a light wind blocking breathable bivy the 7D is great. The 10d would be a little warmer and the 20d more warm and durable but the 7D should serve fine under normal use conditions.

-Tim Marshall

Founder; Enlightened Equipment

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Thanks Tim, appreciate the feed back.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Tim, is the 7D Robic that you offer not the same as the one offered by RSBTR? Their “0.74 oz ROBIC 7D ripstop nylon”? That’s the material that I was reviewing.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

No it is not the same at all. Ours is .5oz. I think we use the same mill but we worked directly with them over 3 years to produce the lightest “down proof” nylon anywhere. Most 7D fabrics weigh ~.7oz, our 10D is .65 so that got us nothing so we pushed for something new.

-Tim

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Oh! Awesome! Thanks for the clarification!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Happy to help.

Adroit
    BPL Member

@adroit

Locale: Northeast US

Hi Tim,  will you be offering the 7D in black anytime soon?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

We just released the 7D a few months ago. Since it has a cost premium we are waiting to expand colors until we have a good feel for how it is being received. Every color is a minimum of $7k in startup inventory cost.

-Tim

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Thanks, Tim. Getting back to Ryan’s bivy, do you have any numbers as far as water head or other info on waterproofness. I understand your focus is down proof, not water resistance. (Love the quilt, BTW.) Since your stuff is likely heavily calendared, I believe this also helps with water resistance somewhat. Could be wrong on that…

Also, others might ask about selling some of the 7D stuff. This appears to be as light as many DCF/Cuban fabrics (even after applying a silicone sealer) and I was also wondering about it’s use as tarp material (perhaps more suited to my poor sewing abilities.)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I don’t have breathable fabrics HH tested. However, I think I will be acquiring a tester in a few months and will test all fabrics and post the result in the fabrics section on our site.

This is no good for a tarp, way to breathable  try the rocky woods 7D Sil/pu for tarps, I like it

We do not sell fabrics

-Tim

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Thanks again, Tim!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools