Topic

Stainless dog bowl as cookpot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stainless dog bowl as cookpot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

So I was at goodwill scrounging around and came across a cheapo stainless dog food bowl for $1. Mostly just caught my eye as a cheap sturdy group cook pot. I rarely need anything larger than my evernew 900, but occasionally it would come in handy.

Any reason I should not boil water/attempt to cook in this?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

No reason at all, unless you're looking for the lightest bowl/pot. Stainless works great.

And the price was right!

EDIT to reinforce Randy's thoughts below: I was thinking of a standard "bowl" shape. But if it's the type which the edges extend to the floor, then I wouldn't want to use it in the woods.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Does it have a handle? Stainless dog bowls I have seen do not and would be awkward to pickup and handle when hot.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

I have one that I use as a baking pot for my woodstove. It is very thin and light.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

Awesome, thanks guys. I assumed it would be fine, but I feel like I've seen certain stainless items labeled 'food grade' and that sorta worried me.
    I actually picked up two, a 1 qt and 2 qt. They're both pretty light and sturdy and the 1 qt fits in my evernew 900 sidewinder caldera cone pretty well, I figured it'd make a great loaner/gift for someone lacking a kitchen set-up. Anyways, thanks for the input.

Also, the bowls are shaped like this so I think that rim will make them fairly convenient to handle when hot.
    bowls

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

A minute with a drill and a short length of wire will fix your handle issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools