Topic

Sunscreen & bug juice quantities

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Ian BPL Member
PostedJul 23, 2013 at 8:30 am

August 1st my daughter and I will begin our Wonderland Trail hike where we will spend a total of seven days on the trail. Mosquitos and sunburns are two of my largest concerns for this hike.

My plan is for 90% of our protection to come from our clothing. We will both be wearing long sleeved nylon shirts and pants treated with permethrin. We haven't purchased our head gear yet but leaning towards the OR Sun Runner. We will have mosquito head nets with us and possibly mitts as well for use during breaks.

To be quite honest, I've never repackaged my sun screen or insect repellent and have never quite figured out how much I've used per day.

How many fluid ozs per day do you bring if you only apply it neck up and hands? I've read through some old threads and many of you prefer film canisters for your sun screen. I'm concerned about the lid coming off during the hike so I'm considering a Nalgene container of the same dimensions. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PostedJul 23, 2013 at 8:41 am

I use a 1oz dropper bottle filled 100% deet. This might be overkill as I have never ran out or even come close. My trips are usually 4-5 days. I typically follow the same routine as you do as far as clothing as protection.

Sunblock, I use a very plastic "canister" from rei, when filled with high spf sunblock it weighs about .4oz. Has the lid that snaps shut, and has never leaked. Has always been plenty for above the treeline hikes.

M B BPL Member
PostedJul 23, 2013 at 9:13 am

I use a 20ml dropper bottle with the dropper spout removed.

At most, I bring 0.35 oz

It is only for face, tips of nose and tops of ears. Clothing handles everything else.

Even in darn near desert environment, I dont use it.

bug juice – pretty much same approach, I avoid using it. Clothing and headnet treated with permethrin. Altitude changes will cause leaks, its messy and smelly, and deet attacks many materials. 3M ultrathon is superior to liquids for this reason.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...