Topic

NH 4000 footer #48, white mtns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports NH 4000 footer #48, white mtns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Finished my NH 4000 footer list this weekend. I had hoped to make it a bit more casual with some friends and go friday afternoon to sunday but weather changed that to a solo mission sunday and monday. This meant a bunch of miles Sunday and still a decent amount Monday.
    I did a "half" Pemi loop by going from Lincoln woods trailhead up the middle, through 13 falls and up to North Twin. I stayed at Guyot shelter and headed back across the Bonds. I had done the full outer loop in NH but we missed a few of the spur trails so i needed Galehead, N. Twin and W. Bond to finish.
    pemi loop

Day 1: 19.5mi I slept at the trailhead saturday night to get an early start around 6am. The Lincoln woods trail is dead flat for miles so I made quick work of it and was at 13 Falls in no time. I did have a few interesting stream crossings, one I took the shoes off and waded across. Took a look around, I have stayed here before so it was fun coming back. Got up to Galehead spur soon after that, stashed my pack along the trail and ran up and tagged that for #46. Back down past the AMC Hut I messed up and forgot to refill my water. I still had some but was soon out after getting to the top of South Twin. I exchanged photo taking duties with a group of 3 that were on top already. I stashed my pack here for the 1.2mi trip out and back to N. Twin. They had come up the N. Twin trail so they hiked with me out and enjoyed the views that they had missed due to cloud cover on their way in. #47
    (N. twin summit)
    ntwin

I set off again, grabbed my pack at S. Twin and headed down towards Guyot. Once the terrain leveled out some I tried to move quickly since I knew the Shelter would have water. Made it to the shelter by 4pm filled up water and decided to use the shelter instead of setting my tent up on a platform.
    shelter
    Since it was so early and I felt good after downing half of my water I set off to finish #48 up on West Bond instead of waiting to do it in the morning. This proved to be a good choice since the views were much more cloudy in the morning.
    (w. bond with Bondcliff behind me)
    wbond
    On my way back to camp I met a guy doing the Pemi in a day loop(31mi ~9k elevation gain). He congradulated me on finishing the 4Ks and I wished him good luck finishing the rest of his loop. Back at camp I made dinner and talked to a few other hikers who were also staying in the shelter.

Day 2: woke up early as usual for backpacking. I tend to not want to eat right away in the morning so I packed quickly and stuck a few snacks in my pocket to have along the way. I was quickly up to the summit of Mt Bond and clouds were rolling through the valleys but I could tell they were lifting. Even just a few minutes of waiting the views cleared up to take a few pictures from and of my favorite ridgeline.
    (Bondcliff ridgeline)
    bondcliff

Up and across the ridge, enjoying views in both directions I made it up to Bondcliff. This spot has one of the best photo ops in the White Mountains. I was up there by myself and it was early so no one else was around. Luckily my camera will do a 30 second timer and that was long enough to get over to the spot with some trail running.
    bondcliff block
    On the way out I had to do a few river crossings but they were fairly easy rock hops. After that it is back to the railway grade for what seems forever back to the parking lot.

Total distance was around 31mi hitting 7 4000 footer peaks. My gearlist was similar to a few weeks ago except the temps and rain forecast was good so i skipped my rain jacket and merino long sleeve and went with arm warmers and my nano puff. I also brought cooking stuff and made a Pasta Side and hot chocolate for dinner. I did wish I had my merino to sleep in since the nano puff was too warm but without it would have been cold. ah well.
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=14195

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

Congratulations Jake! Looks like the trip was a lot of fun and the weather cooperated for the most part. On to the next list! How were the bugs on the Lincoln Woods trail, up at elevation and at camp? I'll be doing the whole loop clockwise this Thursday thru Saturday, hope the weather forcast improves a bit..

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Bugs weren't too bad. I don't wear bug spray and didn't have too much trouble hiking. At camp there weren't very many, if any really.

weather was pretty perfect.. not too hot to hike and not too cold at night.

i'm hoping to do the whole loop in a day at some point, hopefully soon.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Way to go Jake! Looking at those pics I can see why the Whites section of the AT has the reputation for being so difficult. Those mountains aren't as tall as my Southern Appalachians, but man they look rocky and STEEP. What's the next challenge?

Ryan

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Yea, we go straight up stuff around here.. none of this winding around up switchbacks :) Also, they decided to screw with the Thru Hikers and NOBO's go south and SOBO's go north for bit. gotta keep them on their toes

Next is to do the whole Pemi loop in a day (outer loop on the map photo) 31mi

after that keep working on the Terrifying 25 list, which involves a lot of trips into the Presi's up steep, bouldery trails (i posted about my Kings Ravine hike a bit ago if you scroll down a bit)
    http://www.trishalexsage.com/p/the-terrifying-twenty-five.html#uds-search-results

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I've heard that too. I will keep my switchbacks. :)

Ryan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools