Topic

Does my Hexamid solo need a beak?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJul 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Hello all,

I have ordered a Hexamid solo for use on the Colorado Trail next summer as well as use here in Texas. I am debating on whether to add a beak onto the shelter or not.

According to the ZPacks site, it "may not be necessary" if I scoot back into the shelter during a storm to avoid rain splatter, etc. I will be using a TiGoat Ptarmigian bivy in conjunction with this shelter either way.

The extra cost is somewhat of a concern, and I don't particularly want to add weight in a beak if I won't use it. What are your opinions? Thanks!

Ian BPL Member
PostedJul 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I ordered one with my Twin. For 1.5oz, I figured it was added insurance in case the wind was to shift on me during the night. It's also a nice area to store my shoes when it's raining.

PostedJul 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm

When I bought my solo plus Hexamid tent, I added the beak. When I bought my solo plus Hexamid tarp afterwards, I decided I liked the beak enough to add it to the tarp too. I enjoy having it in rainy situations, especially those in which the wind changes direction and rain can be coming from any which way.

For me it is worth it, however, YMMV…

Saying that, the Hexamid pocket tarp is on my list… and I am going to go with the stock version, which is without a beak… The point of this for me though is less weight, so leaving the beak off then makes sense… Also, this would be a mid summer shelter for me, so if I did get wet, it wouldn't really put me in an unsafe condition…

M B BPL Member
PostedJul 22, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Id say, get the beak from my experience.

PostedJul 22, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I added the beak to my Hexamid Twin. I think its worth its weight in the event of a storm, because I will almost always have a second person in it.

PostedJul 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I have a Solo+ with a Beak.

Even so, I've gotten splashes half way up my netting and ample spray inside.
I would not want to have been there without a Beak.

Pitching under a rain-breaking canopy of trees would help a lot. I often don't have that option.

Edward Jursek BPL Member
PostedJul 22, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I had an older model Hexamid Solo with the clip in door. I am 6'0" and 210lbs and there was enough protection for me, but on occasion my pack would get wet. If I go with a Hexamid Solo again I would get the beak.

PostedJul 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Thank you all! I have been persuaded to get the beak added on. I actually found a way to cut 1.5 oz out of my base weight (the weight of the solo beak). So, I break out at the same base weight and with more rain/wind protection, plus some privacy. I call that progress!

Thanks again!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...