Topic

Any women using the ZPacks Arc Blast?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any women using the ZPacks Arc Blast?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I'm planning to replace my pack at some point this year, and the Arc Blast has definitely piqued my interest; however, I haven't seen a single review by a female! From the photos I've looked at, the pack seems to be fairly wide and square, which makes me concerned about the fit–I much prefer a narrow pack, as I have a fairly narrow frame (5'5", 110#).

I love the idea of the trampoline back and the semi-external frame. That said, I've tried the Osprey Exos series and those packs were a no-go for me. Weird fit and too little padding in the hipbelt, which totally defeats the purpose of a framed pack with supposedly excellent load transfer, IMO. How do people feel about the fit and padding of the hipbelt on the Arc Blast?

Last but not least, I've been using Dyneema packs ever since I started backpacking as a teen and I am skeptical of cuben's durability when used as a load-bearing material. I've encountered a number of hikers using first-generation cuben packs that basically disintegrated after a few months of continuous use. Does the reinforced "hybrid cuben" fare better? How much better? If there's anyone out there thru-hiking or otherwise using a cuben pack for extended backcountry travel, I'd love to hear how the material holds up to abrasion, punctures, and general wear.

Thanks!

Michelle A
    BPL Member

@mauhler31

I've taken the pack out on a few short trips now with up to 20 lbs, and it's been very comfortable. The only nitpick I have is the default shoulder straps don't quite fit me as well. To compensate, I loosen the sternum strap quite a bit so that shoulder straps sit almost at the ends of my shoulders, so they're sort of out of the way, and almost all the weight of pack is on my hips. This is very comfortable for me at 20 lbs. I would check with Joe if he could make some narrower S-shaped shoulder straps.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I have an arc Blast, and so far I love it. Let me preface that statement though by saying I've had it on *1* trip so far. I ordered it before Joe came home and made the new changes, so mine is the older frame with only 1 cross brace. I have had to pin the webbing, otherwise the trampoline back slips and I lose the curve. HOpefully the new frame with dual cross braces will be less likely to slip.

The one trip I took was with a bear cannister, I'm looking forward to a trip without the bear can. That may have influenced the slipping, I'm not sure, but it was comfortable to carry the bear can.

I have wide hips, and often have problems with hip belts fitting me–not so with the Arc Blast, I found it a very comfortable carry. I am a lightweight hiker, not ultralight, so if your kit is smaller and lighter the pack should be even better.

I didn't have to make many changes to the pack beyond the standard options available. The shoulder harness fits fine, although I was afraid it would rub on my neck–it doesn't. The only change I asked Joe to make was on the hip belt pockets–shorter arms had a harder time reaching around to secure the buckle. I had him change to a simple hook into a loop, that I could close one-handed. The material feels really sturdy, I don't feel like it would be subject to abrasion or puncturing by much.

I won't be able to really test it out on an extended trip until late August–this has been a bad summer for backpacking, usually I've got at least one one to two night overnighter per month, and often times more. Work has reared its ugly head this year.

There was a thread about Arcs being used by women, but nearly everybody had just ordered one or was going to order one. Someone surely has gotten a chance to use it by now?

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

So it's been a while since this pack has been out. Any women have personal experience they can share?
    Kelly

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I think Joe can upgrade the frame if you have an old one.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I've had it out now on several trips, with bear can and without, and I still really like it. Joe was able to rehab the frame, and works better now, no slipping. I plan to use it on all my trips this summer, and the only reason I haven't sold my SMD Traveler is sheer laziness in posting on Gear Swap. If you have specific questions, ask away.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

No specific questions I suppose. Sometimes ladies find points that can make a difference to other ladies. I like the idea that this pack has stays and is still so light, and that water bottles are accessible while walking. I like my G4 for many things but dislike that I can't access a water bottle.
    Kelly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools