I'm mainly doing Sierra trips, concentrated in the shoulder & winter season, but am hoping to do one or two summer trips each year as well.
I currently have a -10 degree Feathered Friends bag for all the colder trips, which I like and works well.
I'm looking for something else to cover me May-October, so roughly a 20 degree bag.
I'm considering the Feathered Friends Hummingbird (UL version) vs the Katabatic Alsek.
I've never used a quilt before, but the idea appeals to me intellectually…however, I am a side sleeper, which I think may slightly negate the inherent quilt efficiency advantage (as the amount of down compressed under me is a smaller portion of the total down in the sleeping bag.)
I plan to couple the bag with a Regular size Xtherm (I've never used, nor particularly wanted a wider pad, even on snow–maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.)
If anyone would care to comment please let me know your thoughts.
Feathered Friends Hummingbird UL: 14oz of loft, 25 oz total
= 25 oz
Katabatic Gear Alsek + Windome Hood: bag has 12.4 oz of loft, 21 oz total, plus 1.5oz for the hood
= 22.5oz
Just off of the numbers, I would think the Alsek will be a bit warmer than the Hummingbird, and I'm a little concerned about the skinny profile of the FF sleeping bag. (Note that I'm 5'11, 160 lbs.)
As I said, I've never done the quilt thing before. In talking to Aaron at Katabatic he seems like a great guy, and I had a really good experience ordering my winter bag from FF, so I'm confident the quality of both of these options is high. I'm mainly interested to see if there is something I've not thought of here. In searching earlier threads there seems to be a split opinion about the quilt thing, namely they are more flexible in warmer weather, but possibly a bit drafty in colder weather, unless you go to a wider pad or get a wide quilt…both of which seem to negate the weight advantage in this case.
Lots of people compare the math with the WM Ultralite, which is also in the mix, but is about 5 oz heavier than the Hummingbird, albeit with 2oz more down.
I welcome any thoughts–thanks!

