Topic

Holy Cross Wilderness – Mystic Island Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Holy Cross Wilderness – Mystic Island Lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Link to Blog Here

After returning home from my 10 day vacation to the Quetico Provincial Park in Canada, I finally got the chance to go on a short solo backpacking trip in the Holy Cross Wilderness. It was my first backpacking trip in the high alpine this summer and it was already the first few days of July. My my my, how time flies.

The trek up to Lake Charles and Mystic Island lake had been one I've had my eye on for a while. After work I drove a short bit to the trailhead located within the boundaries of Sylvan Lake State Park.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Fools Peak (12,947 feet) is visible from the early miles of the trail.

The path I follow parallels East Brush Creek on the Lake Charles Trail. Dark clouds circle me and I try to scout a flat section of creek for a peaceful evening of fishing next to my camp. I pass a man panning for gold on the stream. He pays no attention to nothing but water and dirt; I sneak by him without him noticing I'm there. A family of 3 backpackers head downstream as I head up.

I pitch my Tarptent just before the quick cloud of rain dumps while sitting right inside the Wilderness boundary. After doing some somewhat unsuccessful fishing on the shallow creek I decide to get ready for sleep. While flossing my teeth I spit out my crown which broke into 3 separate pieces. A little disturbed at first, I waited to see how serious this was going to be, then decided to move forward with my 3 day trip. The stars this night were bright.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Thick trees and some steep climbs via trail eventually gives arrival to what I came here for.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

How old I wonder.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Lake Charles. Eagle Peak (13,043 feet) stands directly in front and Fools Peak is to the right.

Many people stop hiking at this point but this valley continues on and the scene becomes more dramatic.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The snow hasn't been gone from here for that long and the trail resembles a swamp in small doses.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Looking at a topographic map of Fools Peak does not do it much justice.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Watching the moon disappear behind the high peaks.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Mystic Island Lake.

I scouted out my camp for what felt like hours… a good excuse to see what there is to see. The afternoon wind never did seem to die down which made for some difficult fishing on the large alpine lake.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This however would not have involved much sport.

A group of 4 day hikers made it to the lake while I relaxed on the opposite shore; the only people I saw all day, but no words exchanged. Several rain showers came and went.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The follow morning I made my way out the valley. I had realized on my way down that my map had the trail switching sides of the stream in a stretch of section. This was something that I had not given much attention to on my way up. I decided to cross the creek to the other side, while the obvious "established" trail continued on without me.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

What I found was the original abandoned trail which lent a change of scenery than a few days before. There was old dead fall removal, busted bridges and pipes for moving water. I become intrigued as to what the reasons for this may have been. It feels good to be back.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Great report and pictures Tim. What was the mosquito situation like up there? Were you fly fishing or spinner fishing?

Keep the trip reports coming!

Ben

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Thanks Ben.

Mosquitos weren't too terrible in that spot, but they have seemed to be pretty bad in other areas recently. I'd definitely recommend bringing some sort of bug protection when you come in August. The deer flies have been out quite a bit too.

Recently I've been bringing my Daiwa pack rod. Not a fly fisher… yet. Its hard enough to balance the hobbies I already have ;)

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Tim
    Your probably right on the bug protection. I will be taking a tenkara setup I got used on the forum this year. It seems like it will be the ticket. I even caught a real fish with it when I was out practicing this weekend.

fish

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Nice! After catching all those smallmouth in Canada, I nearly yelled at the trout to give me a better fight! I'm looking forward to hearing how you make out on Slate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools