I'm leaving for my first real backpacking trip in a week and an half, and I still haven't decided where to hike. I'm meeting a college roommate who lives just outside of Seattle and is an experienced backpacker – for at least 3 days I'll be backpacking with him, and for the rest of my week there I'll either be on my own or he will join me, depends on his interest level. Alternatively, I suppose we could do a single longer trip and then I could spend a couple of days checking out the city. It's wide open at this point. Dates are: flying out on 31Jul and flying back 08Aug.
There is so much to do out there I am overwhelmed with the choices, and some advice from those of you who know the area would be very welcome. I think my friend must be getting a little soft, because he said "6-8 miles a day is plenty if you aren't routinely lugging a pack with overnight gear…" I'm thinking that even though I don't hike often, 10 per day should be no problem unless the conditions are extreme. His pack will probably be 30-40 pounds, so that might have something to do with it.
He has pointed me to the following site and said that some of their weekend trips would probably be a good 3-day trip for us – well, maybe so if there are side trips. Side trips may be a good idea if his pack is heavy. I'll get stir crazy if I only hike four hours to the next camp and then have little to do.
http://www.wta.org/hiking-info/basics/backpacking/weekend-backpacking-trips/
Here's the type of thing I'm looking for:
-stunning views,
-hiking that is tough enough to feel like I earned those views,
-loops are preferred to out and back (though if we are going together a car drop might be possible if it doesn't kill too much time?)
-trailheads within a few hours drive of Seattle so I don't spend too much time on the road (I will have use of a car)
-relative solitude – I don't mind passing some people on the trail now and then, but I don't want to be in a high traffic area.
I think of myself as being biased toward the mountains, but the "Toleak Point – Third Beach to Oil City Traverse" on the Olympic Coast sounds good, and my friend has not done that yet and is interested in it. So maybe that could be one trip.
Then I need to get my mountain fix. How about some of the wonderland trail? "Indian Bar – Cowlitz Divide (Wonderland Trail)" I can't tell if that is a small section or if I can make a loop out of it.
I know there are so many great opportunities there, so I'll be inclined to trust you if you tell me that I'm looking at overrun/overrated areas and you have better ideas.
About me: This will be my first real backpacking trip, so my skills aren't that keen yet but I'm up for doing a few days solo if I have a good idea of the route and the range of conditions to prepare for. I don't want any sissy hiking, but I probably shouldn't put myself in any really extreme conditions yet. I'll have map and compass and I have some basic skill with them, but maybe shouldn't stray too far from an established trail marked on a map. (Now, on the coast, I imagine it is hard to get lost).
I've probably left out a lot of important factors, so fire away. And thank you.
-Stephen



