Topic

Bug net/bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bug net/bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

I am looking for recommendations for a bug net (no-see-um) for a florless tent. Something significantly lighter than a regular bivy I own (~9oz). I have searched forums, but saw no definitive answer.

Would something like scaled up version of a head net (half body height) work? Or something like a full body envelope made of no-see-up netting? I'd rather buy something ready, but DIY is not out of the question.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I recently picked up one of the Borah Gear bug bivys, have used it for a few nights with a tarp (Hexamid) and without with the footbox staked out and a couple poles overhead. Very happy with it. With a couple feet of M90 added over the footbox area instead of netting there, and stuff sack, and some cordage for when not using my tarp, it comes in a little under 7 ounces for the large, wide, and side zip version. Remove some of these options and it would likely be in the 5-6 ounce range.

The option for customizations for a low fee was very nice I'll add.

http://www.borahgear.com/bugbivy.html

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I second the borah recommendation. My side sip bivy with M90 top, silnylon bottom and mesh hood in wide weighs 6.9 oz. in its stuff sack. It's a fine piece of kit and really, even when the weather looks perfect, I see no reason not to bring it (unless I am already using an enclosed tent.

But … the Suluk 46 weighs 3.1 oz. uses a cuben fiber bottom and all mesh top.

(Here's a link [one day I learn to post these actively]: http://suluk46.com/products%20%20-%20P6%20BP%20Bivy.html

Zpacks has a cuben/pertex bivy. I bet that Joe V. would make one with a net top for you. Their pertex bivy is 5.8 oz. and has the mesh "face" section like my Borah.

In terms of cost, Borah is going to be less than Suluk 46, Zpacks, you'll have to check on.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Equinox Mantis maybe?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

If I remember correctly, my SMD Meteor weighs just over 6 oz which isn't bad considering it also replaces my ground cloth.

I don't think they make it any more:-(

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Thanks for all the replies.

I am also looking at Gossamer Gear Bug Canopy. Seems like very much like what I am looking for. The pictures on GG website are not very clear. Could somebody comment on using GG Bug Canopy with pyramid tents? Any pictures? How does the canopy close around the middle of the sleeping bag? Is there a stretch cord loop?

http://gossamergear.com/bug-canopy.html

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I would not mess around with that, I think a bug bivy or a net tent is what you need to decide on. Both have a floor so no extra groundsheet required.

Bearpaw net tent is something I'm considering right now. It weighs more than a bivy but there is room to change socks etc.

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

Joe Valesko used to do bug bivies with a cuben ground sheet that you could sit up in. Joe is the sort of person who would run you up one if you asked him to. His mesh is 2/3rd the weight of regular noseum.

Keith F

@hamerica

Locale: Northern Virginia

Joe just updated the hexanet and it is back up on the site. Slightly heavier than the original version http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexanet.shtml

Tim Hafner
    BPL Member

@yucaipatim

Locale: Southern California

I sometimes use the GG Bug Canopy with my Spinntwinn Tarp(not a pyramid). It is basically just a rectangular piece of no-seeum that has the 2 front corners folded over and sewn to create "rock pockets" to hold the front corners down. The mesh just lays over the mid section of the sleeping bag. You would have to modify it if you wanted it to "gather" around the sleeping bag. Based on your description, I don't think the GG bug canopy is what you are looking for.

Tim Hafner
    BPL Member

@yucaipatim

Locale: Southern California

Oh, and it does have a loop, and comes with a length of EZC 2 line with a mitten-hook on the end, to pull it up off your face. As is, it protects reasonably well against flying insects, but would not be much of a barrier to crawlers.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

check this out: http://oookworks.com/OookBlog/

It's about half way down the page but a very nice looking solo bug bivy that would work with any shelter and do double duty as a ground sheet.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I am a big fan of the bug net with waterproof floor concept.
    I don't have to carry a ground cloth and can set up camp in bug infested areas if I have to and still get a good nights sleep.

When I lived in the southwest my only problem with cowboy camping was waking with ants crawling all over me and the occasional scorpion.

I don't even try cowboy camping in the northeast from spring to August as there are almost always too many bugs to get a good nights sleep, crawling and especially flying.

Being fully netted in is a must here and many other areas.

Having a floored net also can contribute to warmth significantly on breezy cold nights by reducing convective cooling, but they can also reduce this same cooling on hot summer nights. So it is a trade-off. Do you deal with the reduced air flow or the bugs?

michael levi

@m-l

Net tents are heavier, about 10oz. Does anyone know who make the lightest one pyramid shaped that you can sit up in? Any in the 6oz range?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Six Moons Serenity is 8oz and I suspect anything lighter would be too fragile or too small unless you went with a cuben floor like some companies are starting to do.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Perhaps you could look at MLD's Bug Bivy – six ounces for silnylon floor – five for cuben finer.

michael levi

@m-l

And of course there's the hexamid, 9oz for a fully enclosed tent all for $300.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

There is the Sea to Summit Nano bug netting: http://www.rei.com/product/849594/sea-to-summit-nano-mosquito-pyramid-insect-shield-net-shelter

2.9 oz for the single. Add a groundsheet if you like.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I recently purchased the Nano Duo Double. It's a nice lightweight mosquito net but it came in heavier than advertised. I can't remember exactly by how much but it was about 1 to 1.5 ozs heavier. I'll re weigh it when I get home.

I tried using it under my Hexamid Twin and found that I was swimming in it. I think that it was doable if I would of played with it some more but I opted to send my tarp back to Zpacks and have them sew in the netting.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Tim, so is the mesh just laying around the midsection sufficient to protect from things like no-see-ums? I would think some kind of tightening system would be useful. Sounds like Bug Canopy does work since you use it. Perhaps I should trust the design?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

One of the things I really like about the MLD Bug Bivy is the zipper location. It's lengthwise above you (i.e., Top Entry). It allows you the freedom to simply unzip a short section and sit straight up when you need (i.e., putting on cloths etc..) Getting in and out is not as awkward as it might seem as long as you are using the shock cord it comes with so it flexs as you get in/out.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just weighed this net again:

http://www.rei.com/product/849594/sea-to-summit-nano-mosquito-pyramid-insect-shield-net-shelter

The duo is advertised at 4.85oz. It weighs 5.6 oz my scale including the aluminum pole and stuff sack.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

After some thinking I am inclined to just pick up an MLD Solomid Innernet to use with my Duomid. A little heavier and pricey, but probably essential for seriously buggy conditions. TiGoat bivy is another option that I already have.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools