Topic

Fire on the Mountain

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 10:38 am

Looks like most of the PCT from Cedar Springs to Spitler Peak has burned. Fire started Monday and is still growing. 22,000 acres and only 15% contained. Idyllwild was evacuated last night and the fire is only 1 mile from there and Fern Valley.

Link.

This is one of my favorite hiking areas and I have pretty much walked every accessible and inaccessible part of it over the past 35 years. Was going to spend some time on it this weekend, but that is not going to happen now.

fire 1

fire 2

PostedJul 18, 2013 at 10:42 am

I saw that big cloud of smoke way off to the north yesterday morning as I drove back from a morning fishing session on San Diego Bay. My first thought was that Palomar Mt was going up in flames but I saw on the news that it was up your way Nick. I hope some of your special areas survive the flames.

Stephen Barber BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Same here, Nick. San Jacinto is my favorite local area, and I get up there every year…but maybe not this year. I've been watching all the reports since the fire started, hoping that it wouldn't burn all the way up, but knowing that conditions are perfect for the whole place to go up in smoke.

Now it looks like there's a couple of tongues moving down to the flatter areas south of Palm Springs as well. I expect that will be easier to suppress.

I hope there's some of the Tahquitz drainage and Long Valley left when this is over.

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I normally don't hike around Long Valley in the summer — too many people. Right now it is closed, but if they open it up by this weekend I may go up there, as many people who had planned a trip will probably cancel.

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I remember much of that are up near there was already burned in '09 or '10. At what point is SoCal just completely burned? I seem to remember Postholer calculating that 40% of the first 700 miles have been burned in the last 10-15 years. That is sobering. I guess it will give the '16 thruhikers plenty of poodledog bush opportunities.

Nico . BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Photo from a friend who is a USFS Hotshot with Los Padres NF working on this fire, sent today around 2:00 p.m.

Mountain Fire

Be safe out there…

PostedJul 21, 2013 at 12:57 pm

In 1980 I worked (professionally) building 9 miles of the original tread of the PCT by Snow Creek near Wildwood.

Is that part of what burned?

There are beautiful, BIG trees up around 7,000 feet and higher and I hope they aren't gone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...