Topic

Umbrella Quiver Design?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Umbrella Quiver Design?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Packer

@deathvalleydog

Just bought a Golite Chrome Dome umbrella and I’m seeking the lightest/strongest options of how best to store it on my pack (luxurylite) to protect it from damage during possible falls, rough brush, etc. Does anyone have a proven successful design to acheive this?

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I think an umbrella quiver would add more weight. In my GoLite Race and my Gregory Z Pack I place it in the large outside mesh pocket with the handle (and umbrella spines) down; over to one side. In my GoLite Breeze I put it in a side pocket, again with the handle down, and the top through one of the side straps. Have not had any problems in any situation.

Verndal Lee

@jagc

Locale: Pacific NW

Wayne –

How do you like the LuxuryLite? Is it worth the $$$$? I’m thinking of getting one, or maybe the less expensive version – the NeoTekk.

Wayne Packer

@deathvalleydog

Verndal – It took me a long time and a lot of research before I decided on the Luxurylite. I received it a short time ago and am still in prep mode for my trip so I cannot give you a report on how it is in the feild just yet…but I am very very impressed. It is a marvelously thought out piece of lightweight engineering, simplicity,with impeccable craftmanship thoughout. Customer service/communication second to none. I would recommend either version without reservation.

Whit Kincaid

@razor

I concur with the previous posts. Side pocket storage works in almost any concievable scenario. However, an umbrella quiver made of spinniker fabric would be less than an ounce. Sew to your pack, and it would be a bombproof stow. I made a custom home made pack that I carried for 230 miles in Oregon and it had a silnylon umbrella quiver for my Birdie Pal Junior. As I remember, it added an ounce of weight.

Wayne Packer

@deathvalleydog

Actually, my pack is a external frame pack so I am looking to float a quiver to the frame. Your suggestion is probably the best way to go, but I did just get some interesting stuff though – nylon open mesh tubing (used in delicate packaging applications) – very light and rugged stuff. It comes in tube form, perfect diameter for the unbrella. No sewing to do, cut to length…now I’m figuring how to attach it to the frame…

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

small cable ties (neglible weight) which can be purchased at either an electrical supply store or an auto supply store should do the trick if any of the frame is visible from the outside (or attach to the compression straps – if any and the frame is not accessible. i’m sure you’ll figure out how to best attach it). they come in all diff. sizes, but the smallest/lightest ones are all that you need. depending upon the length of your umbrella holster, somewhere b/t 2 to 4 should do the trick. they can also be used to “close off” one end of the cylindrical tubing you’re using for a “holster” if it’s open on both ends – 2 or 3 should do this nicely. you’ll prob. end up buying a bag of 50-100 anyways, since they’re sold in bulk.

no need to buy a spcl tool to tighten & cut the cable ties.

use needle nose pliers to tighten (can get tighter with the pliers than by hand). after wrapping the tie around the frame, through your umbrella holster, & through the cable tie’s opening, pull it tight by hand. then grab the cable tie close to the where it exits its “pass-through” loop/opening. ROLL the needle nose pliers to tighten. this will cause the cable tie to wrap around the pliers as you ROLL. the plier handles allow you to exert quite a bit of torque. DON’T PULL the pliers – especially towards you. In a prev. life (i.e., ~25 yrs ago), when i was working as an electronics tech, a co-worker, who had been using needle nose pliers and pulling on the cable tie to tighten it, lost an eye when the cable tie broke & the pliers went into his eyeball. you can use nail clippers to CUT the cable tie. small cutting “dikes” can also be used, but if yours are too large, you can get the cut much closer if you use nail clippers – no semi-pointed end left to poke/gouge/cut any light weight fabric or skin.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Wayne,
    Where did you get that mesh tubing from?

Wayne Packer

@deathvalleydog

Thanks Paul for the cable tie lesson. It so happens I was trying some out the other night and that tightening thing was an issue so that info hits at the right time.
    I see they do make removeble cable ties as well which I’m looking into.
    Joshua: I got the mesh from http://www.mcmastercarr.com It’s a great source for everything.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Yeah, McMaster Carr is an infinitely handy site.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools