Topic

Circumnavigation of Kaweah Peaks 7/31-8/4-5 2013

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Jim MacDiarmid BPL Member
PostedJul 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I'm using the Backpacking California route but doing in in 5 or 6 days.

Right now my plan is

High Sierra Trail TH to Hamilton Lakes -17 Miles
Hamilton Lakes to Moraine Lake – 14 miles
Moraine Lake to Colby Lake – 22 miles
Colby Lake to Elizabeth Pass – 24 miles
Elizabeth Pass to TH – 17 miles

My main questions are:

Water? I've read it was a dry winter. Planning on carrying about 1.5 liters at a time.

Mosquitos? I know it's two weeks out, but if memory serves from my CA days, Aug 1 is about the drop dead date for skeeters, and since it was a dry year . . .

Camping in or around Elizabeth Pass? Should I make for the pass or stop short? I am packing food for 5 nights but would prefer 4, saving a day for hiking my old stomping grounds of Mt Diablo and Mt Tam on Monday(flying out of SFO). But could stop in Deadman's Canyon and spend night 5 at Bearpaw HSC. I'm pretty sure I remember reading a trip report where the BPL'er stayed at or near Elizabeth, but I can't find it.

Thanks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...