Topic

Bivy Quilt

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedJul 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm

If quilts were the logical invention from people who realized they were compression their insulation at the bottom and thus making it useless, then why arent there bivy quilts or perhaps even blankets that strap around your sleeping bag and pad.

Since most people here use UL bivies for mostly splatter protection under a tarp, what is the bottom needed for under you?

With a quilt style bivy, midnight runs would be so much easier too. also, less fabric, less weight.

I cant possibly be the first person to think of this, and if I am, I want a cut or at least let me name it.

bjc BPL Member
PostedJul 17, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I have used a SOL emergency blanket, less than 3 oz. for just that purpose as well as a ground sheet..

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJul 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I've been using MYOG bivy quilt for years. I think it works good. But, if you have a seperate bivy and quilt it doesn't add that much weight.

I think maybe you can make your quilt a little narrower. There's no wind blowing uner edge of quilt.

There tends to be a small channel on both sides where the quilt isn't directly against me so there's more convection.

Joshua B BPL Member
PostedJul 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

A little different than what you are talking about, but I have been using the SOL Escape Bivvy as both my bivy and my sleeping bag. I've pushed it down to the low 40's so far. I think this product is pretty useful and has a measure of safety since it still works when wet. I also like that I can leave it compressed without ever worrying about its ability to capture heat. I just wish it was a little more roomy for a 6' guy.

Peter Nash BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 7:16 am

I converted a MYOG quilt to a top bag, by attaching a waterproof Cuben fiber bottom. My Neoair pad goes inside:

Top bag bottom view

Top bag

My shelter is a Hexamid. This modification lets me leave the groundsheet at home.

I described my quilt before this modification in the MYOG forum:

http://tinyurl.com/karen4e

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 7:34 am

Nice

One possible problem is there's an air gap at the top around your neck and shoulders.

I put in a flap of insulated material on both sides to go over my shoulders and cover this gap

Peter Nash BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 8:08 am

It's a converted quilt, so there is a drawstring (not apparent in the photo)I can cinch to get a pretty good seal at the top. And it's definitely a summer bag, so in warm weather it hasn't been a problem.

But your point is a good one, especially in cold conditions. I guess my modified quilt is more quilt-like than top bag because there is no hood.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...