Topic

Easy 3.2oz (x2) Trekking Poles

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
PostedJul 17, 2013 at 8:05 am

I thought I would post a pic of my new trekking poles. Nothing really new here but wanted to just say how cheap and easy this was. If your hesitating on making trekking poles — don't!

I bought the following materials:

Composite fiber driver shaft from dallasgolf.com for $4.99 each
Tips from Gossamer Gear for $7.50
Cork-a-lon grips from Gossamer Gear for $22.50

Total cost of $40 plus some shipping.

For me the length of 46" shafts was almost perfect so no trimming necessary. I simply slipped the grips on the end of shafts with some twisting required, but used no glue as the fit was pretty tight. Then used epoxy to put the tips on. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes. I decided on no straps, but it would be very simple to add later since no glue was necessary on the grips due to the tight fit. Could have saved more $ with different grips but I really like the finished look of the GG grips and thought it was worth the extra costs for me. This project couldn't have been easier.

Final weight of 3.2 oz each.Trekking Poles

PostedJul 17, 2013 at 9:12 am

Now THAT is a MYOG project that I could (and would) actually do!

A couple questions, so I can do the same:

Was the shaft you ordered the "GolfGear LMP-105 Driver Shaft X-Flex 46" w/ .335 Tip"?
What kind of epoxy did you use?
How long did they end up being (in CM)? I'd be looking for 130cm.

Thanks a bunch!

PostedJul 17, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thanks for the link to Dallas Golf. I've been wanting to make a pair of fixed length poles and their shafts are the cheapest I've seen.

PostedJul 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

Total length is 48.25 in. (122.55 cm). I'm 6'0" and this seemed pretty right to start. The epoxy is a typical two part tube that I had in the garage like this…Epoxy

Close ups of tips and grips…close up 1close up 2

Hope that helps. Good luck.

PostedJul 17, 2013 at 11:50 am

A couple of thoughts:

Getting a 47" driver shaft ($5.99) would probably make a 125cm pole, unless my math is wrong. That's an extended length for a driver; ideally I could get a cheap 48" but I'll have to look around.

The shipping charges are the same as the two poles, but it's still cheaper than buying (and MYOG is always fun).

Thanks!

PostedJul 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I think you could squeeze and extra inch with the standard pole. Originally, I pushed the grips on and felt they were a little long for me so I really jammed them down. As you slide the grips on you can roughly feel how far in they are by bending the grips. But these grips are fairly sturdy so I think they don't need to all the way down. If you get the longer shaft and then keep the grip up an inch you can probably squeeze two extra inches to 50"+ (127-127.5 cm). Close…

Also, there are other brands of tips out there. They may be longer by a bit as well.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedJul 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm

They also make shaft extensions that you can epoxy into the large end. I had to do that in order to get the right length for me. They are cheap and also lightweight.

Ryan

PostedAug 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Just an update. I used my poles for the first time this past weekend. A 40 mile/3 day AT trip in Connecticut. Poles worked great. No issues with performance. They felt plenty strong when I put my weight on them (199.99 pounds + pack). Grips are perfect.

I will say that there are some times in flat areas that having collapsing poles might have been nice. You get stuck using them when you really don't need them or want them. However, a young and poor thru-hiker we met was cursing when his collapsable pole mechanism broke and he had to venture out the next morning with one pole and no resources to replace it. So maybe solid poles aren't so bad after all?

Otherwise all I had hoped for.

PostedAug 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

Do you know what other brands or places to buy the shafts? I m from argentine and the shipping cost of dallas golf is too expensive for buying only 10 dollars of products.
Regards

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedAug 23, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Great MYOG!

I also wanted some fixed-length trekking poles, but I started with some carbon ski poles that already had leki-style tips. These are Volkl Magisticks from REI that I bought at the end of the season last year for around $45.00. My thinking was that these poles were constructed to handle the forces that a skier would put on a pole, i.e. planting the pole with a certain amount of force, and that would translate well to a hiking pole. I don't really know anything about carbon construction other than what I've skimmed about bike frame manufacturing, though.

I removed the plastic grips with boiling water. I added EVA foam grips from Mud Hole (from this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=80497). These easily slide on; I haven't added any epoxy yet, but eventually will add a dab at the top to make sure they don't slip. I do like the slim profile of the grips, but if they leave black residue on my hands once I get a chance to use them, then'll I likely get the GG grips, too.

Final weight is 4.7 each and about the same cost.

MYOG Poles

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...