Topic

Arizona Summer List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Arizona Summer List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

Mammut Lightspeed 35 (trimmed) 41.3 oz
    Marmot Atom Long 20 oz
    Small Ridgerest 9 oz
    Homemade Spinnaker Tarp (in process of making, total weight around 9-10 oz with 8 Vargo stakes and triptease)
    MSR Dromlite 4-Liter (pillow too) 3.2 oz
    Aquafina 500mL (2x) 1.6 oz
    Mo-Go-Gear Fire-Fly 1.5 oz
    MSR Titan Kettle 4 oz
    MSR Titan Spoon .52 oz
    Nalgene 4oz Bottle w/ 3 Days of fuel 2.6 oz
    GoLite Ether 3.5 oz
    -Gerber Knife
    -Black Diamond Ion
    -Photon Freedom Micro LED
    -Mini Bic
    -5 Band-Aids, Gauze, Duct Tape
    -Whistle
    -Bandana
    -1/2 Fire starter stick
    All in mesh stuff sack 7.1 oz
    Food (usually all energy bars and some sort of freeze-dried meal for dinner)

All of this except for the food and water comes out to almost exactly 7lbs, perhaps a tad bit more. What I really need is a new backpack, the Mammut (even though I've trimmed it down) at 41.3 oz which once I get a new pack could trim upwards of a pound off my total gear weight. I'm looking for something around 2500-3000 cu in, a low cost, and durable material (desert hiking) would benefit this college student very much. All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Hi Andrew,
    I'd try to narrow the state down a bit. 70 degree F difference in June is common for different parts of the state at the same time.

If you're above the rim, I'd consider adding a balaclava and more warmth in a jacket. Weather blows in quickly there and adequate gear becomes a serious in a few hours. (Remember the ill prepared Scout troop that got caught in the freak snow storm in the Superstitions in March of last year?)

If you're in the Sonoran, even the Atom may be overkill. I know some who take a sewn sheet only to keep the critters out.

Regards,
    MikeB

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Re: the pack-
    What do you consider low cost? In that volume range, I absolutely love my Conduit (I'm turning into an ULA pimp here), priced at $125 before options. Also, the Jam2 is right at $100 and is 3000 c.i. Both are primarily Dyneema so they'll be plenty durable and both would cut about 20-25 ounces from your gear weight.

Re: gear list-
    As pointed out, the Atom might be too much for low desert hiking spring-fall and with only a half-zip, it could be very limiting. Of course, its also you're most expensive piece and you're on a budget. If you're not going to see temps under 40 degrees, I'd sell the Atom and get Jacks R Better's Shenandoah quilt. You'd need to add a fleece watch cap but you'd have more warm-weather versatility at about 2 ounces lighter weight. For temps under 40, you can always add a high loft vest/pullover and poly longjohns.

Are you pitching the tarp using natural, site-located supports or are you using poles? You might want the flexibility that trekking or carbon fiber poles would grant you in selecting camp locations.

You'll probably want some sort of brimmed hat and possibly l/s shirt for sun exposure. Possibly you're not counting these items here as they'll be worn. For hot nights, I also like silk underwear instead of skin against nylon bag fabric, but that could be considered luxury, I guess.

If you don't plan on hiking at night (and possibly even if you do) you can probably ditch the Ion. I always carry a headlamp, but I don't use a pinch light.

Camera? I also don't see route finding items or first aid & toiletries listed, but I assume you know what you need there. Little things like stuff sacks, first aid, etc do add up.

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

All good comments, thank you so far…

So far I haven't had any problems with the Atom and overheating, just left unzipped and only in shorts has kept me cozy in the hottest nights thus far (keeping in mind that if it'll be that hot at night then I'll just head up north…) We've been caught more then once after dark and still a few more miles to go to camp/the car. So far in the pack search the ULA Amp is looking good, after seeing my buddy's. I've brought a camera before a few times but most of the time I find myself never taking that many pictures in the first place

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools