Topic

Overnight Parking @ Mammoth/Red’s Meadow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Overnight Parking @ Mammoth/Red’s Meadow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

I'm sorting out the logistics of having a friend join me for the first couple of days of my JMT hike (though starting in Tuolumne, not the Valley). I'd like to make it easy for her. So far, the best I have come up with is that we drive to Mammoth (and leave her car there), sleep in Mammoth (or at nearby hot springs), take the YARTS bus to Tuolumne the next morning, and start our hike. This way, my friend will have her car waiting for her upon leaving the trail at Red's Meadow.

What are our options for leaving her car for 4 nights around the following sites: a) Red's Meadow, b) Mammoth Mt., and c) the Shilo Inn (YARTS bus stop!).

Thanks for any info you can offer!

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Two options you might consider:

1. Leave the car at Mammoth Mtn (where the Red's Meadow shuttle starts). This will require a ticket purchased in advance for your friend to ride the shuttle from Red's Meadow back to the Mammoth parking lot.

2. Leave the car at the Horseshoe Lake trailhead above Lake Mary in Mammoth and have your friend hike from Red's Meadow out over Mammoth Pass via McLeod Lake.

I think there's still a free shuttle in Mammoth that goes to various places including the Horseshoe Lake trailhead and the Mammoth Mtn parking lot.

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

I called the Mammoth Mt. Inn and confirmed backpacker parking is fine along Hwy 203 (as also indicated by the Forest Service). YARTS stop at the Inn, which is perfect as we'll be heading directly back up to Tuolumne.

Would you explain what you mean by "purchased in advance" for the Red's shuttle? Do you mean before stepping on the bus itself? Last year on the JMT, I left the trail to make an unexpected trip into Mammoth for warmer clothing. I didn't have any trouble getting on the shuttle at Red's Meadow without a ticket purchased in advance (of that day). I can't remember – maybe I bought one at Red's or from the driver? Or is that what you meant? I guess I'll call and double check.

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools