Topic

Highline Trail Utah

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Highline Trail Utah

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

I just completed the utah highline trail over the 4 day july 4th holiday. I created a quick data book for anyone else interested in hiking the same trail, with GPS waypoints, elevations, and mileage splits from Hayden pass to Leidy peak.

http://mtnnut.wordpress.com/trail-databooks/

let me know what you think!

thanks,
    Ted

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

I just updated it with my gpx files too.

-Ted

todd henne
    Spectator

@thenne

Locale: Arkansas

Thanks for posting this info. Exploring the Uintas soon!

Jason Robichaud
    BPL Member

@j4design_build

Hey Ted,

I am doing the highline in a few weeks and am curious about water sources. I backpack the Uintas often typically taking a 1L water bottle. Will I need more than that for the highline?

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

There are lots of water sources along the trail when I did it. However there are areas when you are going over passes where there won’t be any water sources for a few miles.

I always carry a minimum of 2L of capacity during any hike, but that’s me. For the highline trip, I carried a 3L camelback style bladder since I stay hydrated better when I can drink more often from a tube. I didn't always fill it up to capacity, only filling it up with 2L most of the time. I suppose if you were cautious about filling up before any of the major passes, you'll be good with just one liter. However, empty 70 ounce platy bottles weigh an ounce, so why wouldn't you stay on the safe side with a little extra capacity if needed.

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/stupid-light-not-always-right-or-better/

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Something i realized that i should mention is that when i hiked it, in early july, all of the seasonal streams were still flowing strong. As september is a much dryer month with much less snow feeding the streams, water may be a little more scarce than when i hiked it. I would still anticipate lots of good water sources, but maybe not as many.

YMMV

Jason Robichaud
    BPL Member

@j4design_build

Thank you Ted. I plan on just carrying two 1L water bottles and filling up at runoffs before passes. I think anywhere in-between them should be somewhat flowing considering the rain we've been getting.

I do have so many questions, but really I'm just excited. Thanks for your input.
    – J

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me :-)

-Ted

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

My trip report just went live on TrailGroove.

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue11.html

Its on Page 37. Let me know what you think.

Michael Moomaw
    BPL Member

@mmoomaw

Thanks for posting Ted. This is further South than I've backpacked before. Although much of this trail is high I still wonder – How was the weather. Any problems with heat? Any expectations that late July would be any different.

Thanks!

-Mike

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

at 10k+ feet, heat is not an issue. Later in the summer, water might not be quite as plentiful as when i went in early July, but in late July, you should still encounter some similar conditions to what i described. Hopefully not as many thunderstorms.

PMags has a trip report, and it seemed like he experienced similar conditions to me even though his trip was later.
    http://www.pmags.com/east-to-west-uinta-highline-trail

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools