Topic

Lightest stuff sacks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest stuff sacks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Tanner M

@tan68

What do you plan on doing with the camera during this trip? How does protection need to be different? In the past, when you have carried it, do you feel it was adequately protected?

What I mean is, there is likely to be a greater chance you will run into bad weather if you are out longer. For shorter trips, there is less likelihood of a chance. However, when that occurrence occurs it can be just as bad weather whether you are on a day trip or or whatever.

What that means is, if you have felt protection was adequate in the past, why not now? If you feel protection is not adequate now because you will be out longer, you were taking chances with that occurrence occurring during short trips ;^)

I also carry several pounds of camera stuff. My camera is sealed. The kinds of lenses I prefer are not. Camera in holster, holster in mostly empty Talon. Because I worry, I keep a garbage bag handy in the top pocket.

I presume your worry is with the bike trip and not day walking with the camera. If the panier leaking is the problem, I might consider looking at what will make the panier mostly water proof and go from there. It wouldn't need to be a dry bag, would it? A plastic line you cal roll should do; the lid would secure it. Mmm, the panier is an enclosed thing, isn't it..

Where I worked in the past, we got super thick plastic bags full of parts. I kept some for diving gear to keep the trunk dry. Maybe there are some really heavy plastic bags for you to line the panier with?

This place has similar things, but they cost too much:
    http://www.interplas.com/gusseted-poly-bags/3-mil-loose-pack-gusset-plastic-bags
    You do get 500-100 of them, though.

As far as dSLR in ziplocs or whatever, I think that is fine to keep them dry. If you put wet things in a sealed plastic bag, water vapor will form, depending on temp, of course. I don't know if that will be a concern or not but it is something I would try to minimize.

Tanner M

@tan68

> Why not use a Nylobarrier pack liner bag as your first step in water protection and throw all your stuff sacks in that. They're cheap, light, transparent, and waterproof.

I stopped reading and made my post too soon. Whatever this is, I would take a look at it to line the panier.

Max, no need to spray the camera. You can spray the panier and see if water gets in. (oh, and I am still thinking of the enclosed types as on motorcycles…). If water gets in, try the turkey bag or Nylobag or my super expensive solution.

If the panier has a lid that isn't damaged, wouldn't lining the panier work…?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

">I've noticed there are some super helpful people here on BPL…..

Yeah, seriously. I don't have a hose, I don't have a scale, I DO have a question, and if you don't have an answer then you shouldn't waste time responding to the thread.

When someone asks "Is this a good tent?" The answer isn't "Go buy it, get in your backyard, perform tests, and tell us what happened." People wait for people who know to just answer.

Annoying…"

Max,

I fully understand that you are fully committed to keeping the BPL drama alive and for that, I salute you. Stuff sacks are complicated and I'm glad to see that you've brought your concerns to BPL.

Your OP:

"I've got a big bike trip coming up and I have two Ortlieb panniers. I gutted the organizational insert because it weighed a lot.

If I wanted to pack two or three simple drawstring stuff sacks to keep my cooking gear, first aid, and tent repair stuff organized instead of having it slosh around in the Ortlieb, what are my lightest options?

Is Cuben Fiber the lightest, and if so, is there a cheaper alternative that comes close? Is there a very durable mesh stuff sack that gets the weight down there?

These are purely organizational, they don't need to be water resistant at all. However, since they're gonna have things like a metal pot in them, they shouldn't be too flimsy."

The part that sticks out to me is:

"These are purely organizational, they don't need to be water resistant at all. However, since they're gonna have things like a metal pot in them, they shouldn't be too flimsy."

And of that:

"they don't need to be water resistant at all."

As the thread transitions to waterproofing your camera, a few BPL members had the audacity to try and offer some helpful suggestions. Lesser men would have been gracious for the input and thanked these bumpkins for their time. I think that it's absolutely outstanding that you were able to share your feelings with the world:

"Annoying…"

Max, the fact that you were annoyed is completely unacceptable. I think that the only acceptable solution is for you to post your BPL manifesto for all to read so they will never ever annoy you again.

(slowly fade in Greatest Love of All)

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" annoying "

you ?
    who lacks running water. but somehow has internet access …

yes.

v.

Tanner M

@tan68

I gather running water isn't the trouble. He has no hose.

I figure that means he literally lacks only the hose to implement the idea or has no place to hook up a hose, even if he had one.

Some people have neither garden nor hose. I suppose he could go to the type of car wash that has handheld wands..?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

There is no water, no Nalgene bottle (this is BPL after all), no red solo cup, no rain, no sprinkler, no water fountain, no TP roll which could be sruffed in the sruff sack as a mock camera, no hydrogen or oxygen from which to create a H20 molecule….

Apparently the only thing that exists there is a gigantic black hole of need.

Tanner M

@tan68

Not even Little Sippy :^(

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Methinks Max just wants someone to give him the solution so he doesn't have to figure things out for himself.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Nick's right. Just trying to coax the answer out of someone, and I did.

Ian, use your big ol' brain and read the thread, the camera doesn't come up until later on Page 1.

It shouldn't have to take 3 days and 30 posts, but here's the answer I got:

For stuff sacks, no-see-um netting are the lightest.

For the camera, I should use an air-permeable dry sack so that water vapor doesn't form, and to protect the camera.

Thanks for the help, people who were helpful. People who decided to make this a political thread about which questions are ok to ask and which aren't, go out and hike.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Once again you are displaying your lack of reading comprehension. My unedited response from above:

"As the thread transitions to waterproofing your camera, a few BPL members had the audacity to try and offer some helpful suggestions. Lesser men would have been gracious for the input and thanked these bumpkins for their time. I think that it's absolutely outstanding that you were able to share your feelings with the world:"

Here's some free advice Max. At some point you will be released to the real world. You'll find it more welcoming to you if you lose your sense of entitlement between now and then.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ian,

The real world is treating me just fine. You would do well to worry about Ian Bloom and not Max Dilthey.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It's because I care Max. You look like you need a hug. Bring it in muffin face.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

better than max. we'd be better off if max gave us the answer and we came up with the questions.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Enough with the fighting!
    Ian, you go back to the Chaff corner. You are sorely missed there.
    Max, I would be happy to make you a no see um stuff sack.

;)

Edited to correct the auto correct
    " you are solely missed there" is not what I meant..

Mittens, sure, can do.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

mumble mumble (sheepishly looks up at Kat) Well he started it.

Edit: Hey Kat could you make me a couple pair of no see um mittens? Not kidding.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools