Where can I buy a great set of silkweight baselayers. I see REI has them, is that my only choice?
Topic
silkweight baselayers
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
6pm may have what you want for cheap.
http://www.6pm.com/patagonia-capilene-1-silkweight-graphic-crew-nickel
I got some from winter silks. I like them so far.
Are you looking for silk baselayers or silkweight synthetic baselayers?
I'd be interested in silk, specifically, if anyone has more choices
Good question? Which one would be the better option?
One of the problems with silk stiff is that it will wear out after a few years. This seems like a huge investment when prorated over that time. I have found that for long john bottoms, womens nylon stockings work as well and are far less expensive. You might feel a bit embarrased about checking them out in the store isle.
But will the nylon stockings be enough to keep your bag clean from dirty legs/ feet etc?
Tights might work but the minute you snag them they are basically goners.
Silk requires care in use and washing, shouldn't just throw any fine silk in the washing machine and dryer if you want it to last. Winter silks are expensive work great but cannot take the abuse of backpacking for long unless you are prepared to care for them. I use the silk cashmere combination long underwear but they are delicate.
REI silk underwear has good ratings and can be machine washed and dried. And the prices are reasonable.
..for this thread as I'm in the market. Sounds like REI is the best bet for me based on what I've read here.
Thanks all for the input.
Edit so not to bump: Thanks Barry! That's a great price.
Silk or synthetic?
Like others noted, my synthetic way outlasted my silk— is cheaper, warmer, dries faster, lighter, and smells less after a week. I use Terramar. The bottom is 3.9oz http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75186
And the top is 3.9oz http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75185
Good luck in the base layer,
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas
I would like to try a blend of silk and poly or nylon. Something like 60% silk to 40% synthetic.
Barry, i can believe all of the above except that i have a hard time believing that the synthetics smelled less than the silk. I don't have a lot of experience with silk, but my general experience is that natural fibers tend to inhibit bad smell much better than synthetics.
Become a member to post in the forums.

