Topic

silkweight baselayers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) silkweight baselayers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Where can I buy a great set of silkweight baselayers. I see REI has them, is that my only choice?

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I got some from winter silks. I like them so far.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Are you looking for silk baselayers or silkweight synthetic baselayers?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'd be interested in silk, specifically, if anyone has more choices

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Good question? Which one would be the better option?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

One of the problems with silk stiff is that it will wear out after a few years. This seems like a huge investment when prorated over that time. I have found that for long john bottoms, womens nylon stockings work as well and are far less expensive. You might feel a bit embarrased about checking them out in the store isle.

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

But will the nylon stockings be enough to keep your bag clean from dirty legs/ feet etc?

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Tights might work but the minute you snag them they are basically goners.
    Silk requires care in use and washing, shouldn't just throw any fine silk in the washing machine and dryer if you want it to last. Winter silks are expensive work great but cannot take the abuse of backpacking for long unless you are prepared to care for them. I use the silk cashmere combination long underwear but they are delicate.
    REI silk underwear has good ratings and can be machine washed and dried. And the prices are reasonable.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

..for this thread as I'm in the market. Sounds like REI is the best bet for me based on what I've read here.

Thanks all for the input.

Edit so not to bump: Thanks Barry! That's a great price.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Silk or synthetic?

Like others noted, my synthetic way outlasted my silk— is cheaper, warmer, dries faster, lighter, and smells less after a week. I use Terramar. The bottom is 3.9oz http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75186

And the top is 3.9oz http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___75185

Good luck in the base layer,
    -Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to try a blend of silk and poly or nylon. Something like 60% silk to 40% synthetic.

Barry, i can believe all of the above except that i have a hard time believing that the synthetics smelled less than the silk. I don't have a lot of experience with silk, but my general experience is that natural fibers tend to inhibit bad smell much better than synthetics.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools