Hey everyone!
I know this area is probably one of the more done semi loops or trips in the San Juans but the ease of getting to the trail head via train, beautiful terrain, and length make it an ideal choice for my group of 3 (2 being very very novice backpackers).
I've gotten the guide book and a good topo map of the area and connecting the trails needed to create the loop (starting at Elk Park and finishing at Chicago Basin) seems pretty straight forward. I do have a few questions though if anyone's free to help shed some light on them:
1. Any recommendations on areas to camp? I think most of it's camping at large but just curious about recommended mileage (we are doing it in 5 days 4 nights) and maybe some general areas that are ideal for camping.
2. The last thing I read in the guide book said you don't need to obtain a permit to camp overnight in these areas……is that still the case?
3. Any must see sights? Areas to watch out for or just any other helpful hints that will help this trip be a success?
Thanks in advance everyone and let me know if you need more information about our trip to answer the above questions!

