Topic

What’s the deal with SUPs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities What’s the deal with SUPs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I don't get it. They seem as heavy as a typical hard shell kayak without any enclosed storage to make them useful for trips. I guess you could strap a drybag to it. Doesn't seem like you surf with them. What do people use them for?

Here's one I picked at random in case you're unfamiliar: http://www.backcountry.com/boardworks-shubu-inflatable-paddle-board

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

It has been around for a long time in Hawaii.. i would guess they used their normal long boards and you can go a lot further using a paddle than paddling with your arms.

for modern version it is a different workout than kayaking.. more full body than just shoulders and a lot more balance involved. not really built or marketed for transportation/packing more like the windsurfer fad of the 80-90s.

Dave T

@davet

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools