Topic

Kifaru Bikini frame is here

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
PostedJul 13, 2013 at 4:56 pm

My Bikini frame and Highcamp bag arrived so I took a few pics for you. The frame weighs 38oz. The bag weighs 32oz. All Kifaru packs come with very, very long web straps. If not wrapped or cut you will look like a flying spaghetti monster. So figure at least 4-6 oz less for the frame and bag once straps are cut to length. Here is a pic with my load out for a three day trip to Thousand Island Lake.Highcamp

The frameFrameFrame

The Highcamp bag will be my winter bag and when I am a Sherpa for the family ;)
I Will contact Zimmerbuilt and see if I can have a custom light weight bag made for the frame. It should wind up to be 6-8 oz more than my Circuit but handle a full bear canister much more comfortably. I strapped a full 35L STS dry bag on there with two compression straps and it worked great. I like the custom bag idea so I can have outside pockets for my fly rod, water bottle and a hydration sleeve inside.

I will try it out next weekend and report back. I know I'll like it because I have other Kifaru packs and really dig them.

PS. The forum rotated my pics, sorry.

PostedJul 13, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I absolutely love my bikini and highcamp. Figured out an awesome lightweight setup for non winter trips. I strap a 40L sil drybag I made on, and another sil sack with my tarp and rain gear. That along with a Kifaru grabit and 2 compression straps makes for an awesome little setup.

PostedJul 14, 2013 at 11:53 am

That setup sounds great. How are you attaching the Grab it? I think a OR light weight dry bag would work nicely. I would need some way of having my hydration bladder in something attached somewhere.

PostedJul 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Great looking STURDY pack. Good frame.

FWIW I'd slightly bend the crosspiece (in its center area) away from your head if that is how high it normally rides.

PostedJul 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Thank you. The pack does not ride that high. The top of the frame is a couple of inches over my shoulder.

Miles Spathelf BPL Member
PostedJul 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Nice setup up! Looking forward to hearing your report after you test it out. Cheers

PostedJul 14, 2013 at 8:10 pm

You can attach it any which a way, but is designed to go on those two common loops with the plastic piece in them at the very bottom like where the hip belt attaches. They are in the picture you posted at the bottom of the pic

Miles Spathelf BPL Member
PostedJul 14, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Is that the foliage green color? Seems like a nice gray with a touch of green

PostedJul 15, 2013 at 5:29 am

Yes, that's foilage green. Same color I got. Not a big fan of camo pattern stuff, so the foilage color is nice. It's a nice subdued color that really blends into most environments, and doesnt really stand out around other people/in town etc.

PostedJul 15, 2013 at 8:14 am

@ Ken.
Ahh I see now. Thanks. I think a OR light weight dry bag with the Grabit and a hydration sleeve or a light day pack like Josh has on his pack in the Philosophy section would work nicely.

@ David.
I have the composite stays. They are very stiff.

I was not sure about the Foliage color until I received the pack. I like it. It does not look overly military and it is similar enough to the subdued pack colors of civilian gear. Also close enough to OG 107s to be cool.

Miles Spathelf BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

Your post has me considering this set up as a possible pack for some field work with heavy gear / easily changeable pack bag loads. I'm just curious where the stays stop…. just trying to compare it to my other packs as I have an 18.5 in torso and was recommended to go with 24 for ~50 lb and 26 for over 75 lbs loads.

Adding to the choice issue is that apparently the load lifter connection is adjustable (?)

Cheers

Miles Spathelf BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for the pic. I sent an e-mail to kifaru and basically the best way (as always) is to just try them both on. Looks like I'll have some extra shipping charges soon :)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Loading...