Topic

Westcomb Crest Hoody — a replacement for the venerable Houdini?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Westcomb Crest Hoody — a replacement for the venerable Houdini?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I recently picked up a Westcomb Crest Hoody because I was concerned about the direction the new Patagonia Houdini is going. It's made of Pertex Equilibrium so it has a bit more stretch than the Houdini but still only weighs in at 5 oz.

So far in two downpours it has proven to be highly water-resistant, highly wind-resistant, and still more breathable than the 2013 Houdini and probably on par with my old 2012 Houdini.

Fit is fantastic and the next-to-skin comfort is phenomenal.

Perhaps this is destined to be the new favorite UL jacket?

on Marcy

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Okay, that is seriously a cool piece! I am especially interested in learning how the denier gradient / wicking thing works out for you. Perhaps it will end up feeling much more tolerant of moisture buildup on the inside than a regular "hard shell windshirt" like the Houdini?

Let us know how it works out for you :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice looking piece,

I would definiltley buy one but have 4 Windshirts already.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Perhaps this is destined to be the new favorite UL jacket?"

It does look like a nice piece, but I'm always a bit surprised that the Feathered Friends Jackorack doesn't get much mention on BPL. I really like mine.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

"So far in two downpours it has proven to be highly water-resistant, highly wind-resistant, and still more breathable than the 2013 Houdini and probably on par with my old 2012 Houdini."

If you already own an "old" 2012 Patagonia Houdini, why did you buy a new windbreaker?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Does anyone know the difference between Pertex Quantum and Equilibrium? Pertex's site is a little vague on the actual specifications of Equilibrium, compared to the Quantum page.

I have the Rab Cirrus, which is 15D Quantum. Unfortunately, I've never used a Houdini, which at least makes a good comparison benchmark.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Nice looking piece. It looks as if you have adj. velco straps on the sleeves. When I go to the Westcomb web site the sleeves are 'molded'. REI thumbnails show both on the same page. One thing I wish the Houdini had is velcro straps on the sleeves as well. Any idea which model year yours is?

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

A few answers:
    Pertex Equilibrium is a 2-way stretch woven. The fabric is more like a very, very lightweight "softshell" as marketed by Patagonia, REI, et al. I believe it is a bi-component fabric with a harder wearing exterior thread and a softer wicking interior thread. My understanding is that Pertex Quantum is more similar to the usual hard nylon wovens

I got a good deal on the Crest as it was on clearance at REI during one of their promotions. Despite having a few windshells already this one piqued my interest. I carry a windshell every day and use them often for cycling, hiking, climbing, etc, so it behooves me to have an extra to fall back on…

Regarding durability. I did discover one pull on the fabric after a short day of bushwhacking. Besides that one day it's been mostly too hot out to wear while moving, so I haven't been able to test its durability/wicking more extensively. So far it seems to wick well and feel better when damp than the Houdini. I am really looking forward to putting it through its paces later this year particularly the winter.

My Westcomb hoody indeed has velcro straps. It is this year's model (Spring 2013) if that helps. Like everything else Westcomb makes, this one is made in Canada.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools