Topic

Impending JMT Hike Approaching LAST MINUTE GEAR Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Impending JMT Hike Approaching LAST MINUTE GEAR Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Philip Kovacik
    BPL Member

@mountainjam

Locale: Bay Area

Hey ya'll, looking to pull together my gear for my 14-day attempt of the JMT on Aug. 1…right now I'm planning on bringing my MLD Cuben Duo Tarp with MLD UL Bivy, Bearikade Weekender, GG Gorilla, etc…looking for recommendations on:

1. Trail Runners – Have logged too many miles on Sierra Granite in La Sportiva Boulder X's and need something more comfy.
    2. Sleeping Pad – inflatable or CCF?
    3. Stove – Thinking Snowpeak Titanium
    4. Clothing?

Also just looking for general rec's about food, great campsites, or if someone has the perfect 15-25 mile-per-day itinerary…hit me up via PM or at csnyguy (at) gmail (dot) com .

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

Sounds like you are set for a good time to come

1. Trail runners – I go back and forth between Brooks Pure Grit really comfy, minimalist foot position with lots of cushion and Innov8 F-Lite 252 minimalist foot position with a lot less cushion. They do still have enough of a sole that you do not feel sharp edges like my 5 fingers

2. Sleeping pad – this is again a very personal choice. I know that I am a side sleeper and I need an air mattress. I wish I could role with a thin foam pad but I value my sleep way too much and they just do not work for me. I am currently using a Thermarest Xlite and I love it. 11.2 oz but I still love it.

3. Stove, if your are happy with the SP, I would say use it and enjoy

4. Clothing – In the Sierra layering is your friend it can get quite warm in the middle of the day, where shorts and a t-shirt will be very comfortable. things can drastically cool off in the evening, with the opportunity for thundershowers and just generally crazy weather in the late afternoons. I was up Kearsarge Pass over the 4th of July weekend and ran into a freak hail storm, which left everything covered in white. temps dropped and it got cold and wet. This was after leaving the TH at 10:30 am in 82 degree sunshine

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Based on the younger or tougher posters here I keep thinking I'm a real wuss for insisting on 2" of inflatable pad vs. a thin CCF.

Then I went camping back-to-back weekends. Once in typical Sierra terrain with a gravelly/rocky pitch. Then next time in forest on deep duff.

I could totally sleep on the forest duff without any pad. I need the 2" foam for hard, rocky ground.

On the JMT, probably no more than 1/3 of the likely camp spots are on soft ground (presuming we aren't sleeping on fragile grass). The rest are harder terrain or bumpy well-used sites.

I vote for whatever pad gives you a good night's sleep.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

sleeping pad :
    peter's vote is for the smallest of the thermarest puff up's.
    if you get anything more, you will be a cross purposes to the rest of your lightweight kit.
    i shy from the neo-air because if/when it goes flat, you have the rest of the night with nothing, and that can get cold. a prolite will insulate (sort of) even if flat.
    if one buys a prolite, and then moves on, there is an active market for them on ebay.

cheers,
    v.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Send you a PM, might be easier to help you over the phone with some questions. Give me a shout if you wish.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

There was a time when many JMT hikers did it without re-supply. Levi's jeans and jackets, and JC Penny Towncraft cotton T shirts were the uniform of the day. Leather boots and cotton socks were common. External framed Kelty packs were the prominent backpack. If they used a pad, it was blue foam.

Just grab what you got and go! You will probably have more fun if you don't worry about gear choices or itineraries. Just sleep where you end each day. Quaker Oats for breakfast, a couple round loaves of Schatt's Sheepherder bread and whatever else you find at the grocery store and can fit into your pack will work. Bring a fishing pole for protein selections.

;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Don't be silly, Nick. Nobody knows about Erick Schat's Sheepherder Bread unless they've been through Bishop. It is good stuff, although I find any good sourdough sheepherder bread is good. You really need something like that to spread your Nutella on.

–B.G.–

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools