Topic

Desolation Wilderness Gear Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Desolation Wilderness Gear Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

So I solved my hiking locale quandary and am off to Desolation Wilderness where I'll camp at Half Moon Lake. Two gear questions before I go:

Stoves – I have the camp fire permit but there's a fire ban, does this mean I "have" to take a canister stove, or can I go with my alcohol stove (it's a Zelph's StarLyte)? I know this is a bit of a gray area, so opinions will do nicely.

Second, mosquitoes … looks like they are dying out, but would I be a fool to take a duomid and no bivy? That's kind of my plan for now, but I have a Skyscape Trekker and a Borah Bivy, should I take the weight penalty for security?

Distant third, what flies would you recommend for fishing in desolation? Mosquitoes, I am guessing but I am very amateur at this so … TIA

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

The Tahoe Basin Mgmt Unit Fire Restriction Order list the following exception, "However, persons with a valid campfire Permit may use pressurized gas or
    contained fuel stove."
    I would say that alcohol is not an option. Esbit is a grey area so probably call to get verification and write down who said it was ok (if that's the case).

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

I was in the sierras a couple weeks ago. Caught 8 in an hour with a birds nest that had a strand of wire on the lower portion, size 16 or 18.

The real trick is to look for "fishy" spots.

Had a little luck with a "spent spinner" once it sank below the surface.

Good luck

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm headed to Desolation in a week, I called, per Chris, no alky stoves. I'd bring some sort of shelter to save one from mosquitoes, you are not hiking that long to get there unless coming from Echo Lakes. Try some mosquito pattern flies and the normal flies, they will work. Have fun.
    Duane

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Stoves- I dont think that they want alcohal stoves out there right now. But the ranger station is the only place I would accept an answer to that question before heading out.

mosquitos- I was out there at the end of June and the mosquitos were not to be taken lightly. I was on the other side of dicks pass at dicks lake. Literally swarms of them. I probably ate atleast ten just trying to get trough them. Head net and bug net in shelter would be reconmended. I only brought the shelter and regretted leaving the head net at home.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Thanks All. Will bring the canister stove, some flies, Trekker and headnet. Better safe than sorry on all counts – plus the canister stove is so darn easy.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I was out in Desolation Wilderness the past two weekends (6/28 and 7/5), one at Lyons Lake and the other at Lake Aloha. The mosquitos are out to get you in a big way. We were fortunate to have a good breeze one night but otherwise, you can expect to see them right before sunset. I actually did make it out to Half Moon Lake on a day hike. Very beautiful.

If you park at Echo Chalet, I highly recommend taking the boat on Echo Lake and skipping the +2 mile hike along the lake. The loose talus and sun were a huge pain. I'm not one to skip mileage but it just wasn't worth it. The fare is about $12 each way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools