Topic

CORE Bio Reactor Wood Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CORE Bio Reactor Wood Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Or you could buy an Emberlit. Or a Firefly. And you'd have it in a week.
    No offense to the poster or the owner of the kickstarter drive, but I'm seeing nothing new or innovative here.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Always room for one more wood burner :-)

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Its a good looking stove and there is indeed always room for another wood burner, but at 8.5 – 13 oz depending on the mode its used in, I'm not sure I'd call it ultralight. In 4 sided mode, it weighs almost as much as a Jetboil Ti with fuel canister. It says on the site that it sprung from the desire for an easily stowed wood stove for survival packs, and it seems to fit nicely for that, and could be used for backpacking as well.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Tom, my recent burning of wood in a Caldera Cone that is 4" high has led me to beleive that I have found the "ultimate" wood burner for Ultra Lite backpacking. I'm not talking about the TiTri, just a plain ole cone with the 3/4" X type pot support that is place on top of the cone. It's so simple to assemble. One joint to slide together. A 4" high stove that gets 3 cups of water boiling with one load of wood. I've been a wood burner for ages and know a lot about stoves. The cone is my #1 pick.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

"The cone is my #1 pick."

I know that Dan. When I said "Looks great", I genuinely mean that its a good looking stove. But as I said, the CORE bio is too heavy to be considered a good ultralight stove IMO and it wouldn't have the efficiency of a cone anyway. I love that Caldera Cone set up, and may pick one up in the future. I cant use wood stoves (nor alcohol or Esbit) in my area, and as it turns out I cant use them in most of the Sierras at the moment. When the time comes that I can use a wood/alcohol/Esbit stove, I'll be looking at picking one up.

For now, its the JetBoil……..

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

25oz for the campbells… check your audience. This is backpacking LIGHT.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I really don't get the obsession with wood stoves. Ultralight backpacking is about getting rid of unnecessary gear and using your skills. I don't understand why everyone is opposed to using a very small, open fire to cook with. Are you all such gear freaks that you need a neat tool to accomplish every task?

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Several reasons.

A wood stove cooks much faster and easier than an open fire.

You dont need as much wood to cook with when using a wood stove.

Campfires can be difficult to cook on if its windy, even in somewhat sheltered locations. Not so much with a good wood stove and windscreen.

With most wood stoves you can carry an alcohol burner or Esbit as a back up when hiking through areas where wood fires are not allowed, or if you just want a quick cup of coffee in the morning and dont want to build a fire.

These are just a few reasons off the top of my head. Campfires are great at night, I certainly enjoy them. But I dont like to rely on them as my sole source of heat for cooking on hikes.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Are you all such gear freaks that you need a neat tool to accomplish every task?

Justin, only gear freaks will buy the Core Bio Reactor. They don't know diddly squat about wood stoves and think it's some kind of miracle worker that will make them into an instant user of wood fuel. Just think about the fact that this stove makes bio-char, Wow, you can enrich your garden with it. It doesn't get any funnier than that….yes it does get funnier, it creates super heated air that will ignite unburned gases LOL. Oh yes, I needed that good laugh to start my day….thank you!

Gear Freaks need toys! They eventually sell them on ebay at half cost.:-))))

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools