Topic

Cuben BPWD Bear Den 1

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJul 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I will write a review for this product after I can use it a few times.
But I really wanted to post some pics and initial impressions.

I ordered the Bear Den in .74oz Cuben rather than .51 and also got the front vestibule and peak vent.
12 oz including stuff sack,line locks and line.

There is little to no info online, with the exception of John S. own videos, regarding this product. And I really want to brag on him because this is a really nice setup!Bear Den (1)Bear Den (2)Bear Den (3)

This thing is roomy and I can crouch down with plenty of head room.
He also added inner tie outs for my Net or Bivy.
Took me 4 minutes to set it up right out of the sack. So very simple setup.

Peter S BPL Member
PostedJul 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Thank you Kevin, good to see more info.

Which height do you set your trekking poles at?

PostedJul 11, 2013 at 8:43 pm

i really like this shelter especially for the weight and the price. how is the space inside?

PostedJul 11, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Well I actual did not measure them. but I imagine the front was around 36" and rear was between 135/140 Cm (54"?)

Although the picture does not show it there was about a 2-3" gap between the ground and bottom edge of tent.
I had about a 8-10 MPH wind blowing and it was very solid,not saying much,sides and all angles were tight.
Hope that gives more info.

If I remember correctly you are looking for a new shelter with very strict criteria ;)
If John @ BPWD was to put a Hanging floor with side netting in this shelter it would be bomber. Almost a Mid, not quite, could have possibilities for you.

The 1 is very roomy the 2 is probably spacious.Bear Den Interior

I am 5'9 skin and bones so I got tons of room. There is right at 36" between the base of my trekking poles plus 6-8" between base and wall so fairly wide. Lots of room to put gear.Peak Height is also very high.

I plan to use it next weekend so i will have some better updates then.

Peter S BPL Member
PostedJul 11, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Hehe, i'm always looking for a new tent! I have 4 categories, 1 person fair weather, 1 person harsh weather, 2 person fair weather, 2 person harsh weather – i'm covered, but IMO, tents is the most interesting piece of gear and the most complex, and there's always room for improvement ;-).

It looks massive inside! Great pictures. Thank you for the measurements, makes it easier to compare to other shelters.

I would probably get BPWD to make a tent from my own measurements, and in cuben, if i where to get a SUL shelter! (For now, in the 1 person harsh weather categorie, i'm looking at what BigSky international has to offer)

Have a good trip!

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 4:48 am

thanks for the info kevin! i'm 5'9" too so this is looking very appealing right now.

Steve B BPL Member
PostedJul 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Not intended to be negative, but just an observation; With the vertical side(s), and the guy line on that side staked so close to it (so not much leverage), I can't see that taking side wind very well. Let us know how it works.

Steve

PostedJul 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Steve,

I believe you are correct. I tried to get a similar pitch to what was in the setup video. I really think I need to add another stake so I can move the top tie farther out.
If the wind changed during the night it would probably not hold as is.

Another option is to just add a longer line to the bottom line loc so I can pitch it higher and get the distance for more leverage.

We shall see.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...