Topic

Thoughts / questions on HMG Windrider Southwest pack

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedJul 11, 2013 at 6:47 am

I received my Southwest pack the other day. Overall, I like the pack, but am still trying to decide if I'll keep it.

A couple questions/concerns:

(i) The space between the hipbelt in the lumbar area is a bit wide for the width of my back. As a consequence, there is a gap between the hipbelt and my hips near my spine, meaning that there isn't a complete wrap around my hips. Is there any way to remedy this? I read somewhere on here that the user had had Hyperlite Mountain Gear customize the lumbar pad by making it narrower or something of the sort.

(ii) The body of the pack extends well above the shoulder straps, which creates extra interior volume (which is nice), but it makes it real hard to pack the pack, especially since the cuben hybrid fabric is rather stiff. It's like trying to reach way down into a deep tube, if that makes any sense. The only solution I found is to roll down the top of the packbag, inverting the cuben fabric, but I have concerns that this repeated stressing of the fabric will eventually compromise it. Thoughts?

(iii) The hipbelt pockets are rather small and hard to operate one handed since they are away from the front. But this just might be the fact that I have a size small. I wish that the hipbelt extended a bit further towards the middle so the pockets were easier to reach.

(iv) Any idea on how I ought to bend the stays to have them conform to my back? Or should I just leave them alone? I feel like the pack is pretty comfortable overall, but the comfort could be improved a bit.

That's it for now. I do like the look of the white cuben fabric and the black checkered dyneema of the outside pockets on the Southwest model. Very minimalist looking and nice contrast.

PostedJul 11, 2013 at 10:29 am

The first thing I'd do is to direct these questions to HMG. I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out, and if anyone can give you an accurate answer, they could.

PostedJul 11, 2013 at 10:40 am

(i) The suspension 'floats' with the twin stays meaning that once the pack loosens up a bit, the pack will from around your back and your hips. Once you wear it with weight on an outing or two, it will mold nicely.

(ii) Many UL packs are like this. These packs are intentially narrow and tall to maximize the weight / load transfer to your body. With respect to the material, it will soften up very nicely after you use it a bit. It does not remain as stiff as it is when new.

(iii) This is more personal preference than anything but it sounds like maybe you want / need a longer belt. HMG can attach a longer belt to your size small.

(iv) You will have to use it a time or two with a load to determine if the stays need to be bent. The odds are that you will want to bend them a bit at the top. Trace them first on a piece of paper! You will need to know where you bent them from. Then gently but yet with force, bend the top of them over your knee. May 1/4 to 1/2" at a time. I doubt any other part of the stays will need to be adjusted.

Curtis B. BPL Member
PostedJul 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Davey wrote:
>>(iv) You will have to use it a time or two with a load to determine if the stays need to be bent. The odds are that you will want to bend them a bit at the top.

How do you know if the stays should be bent and by how much?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...