Must be totally waterproof (for sleeping in rain/snow with no other shelter), breathable and large enough to accommodate me (at 6ft4), my pad and my quilt. Any supplier recommendations? Do not want to spend more than $100. Does the standard bora gear bivy fit these specs? I am sure there are many options I do not know about? Advice appreciated.
Topic
Looking for a lightweight, affordable, waterproof, all-weather bivy…advice greatly appreciated
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Here's a bivy from Aqua Quest that I've been considering:
http://www.aqua-quest.net/185.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Quest-Waterproof-Breathable-Season-Single/dp/B0056SOA48
I like the – relatively – roomy design, but if it were made from lighter materials (maybe a silnylon bottom and Event top) I bet it would be awesome.
Within reason Dave at milesgear.com will make you anything you like, he's working on a smaller lighter version of his Uber bivy, take a look at his website. With modern thick sleeping pads (Neo Airs, Expeds etc) I find almost all bags too tight, with the result you loose loft on your quilt. Dave's new Uber bivy is almost half the weight of the Aquaquest.
You won't find a WPB bivy for under a $100 and the ones just over $100 will all have bad condensation. The Miles gear bivy is a good alternative. The next best (least expensive) might be one of the OR bivy's.
I have spreadsheet here (that I need to update some) that will give you a idea of what's available.
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/the-bivy-condensation-conundrum/
Not sure any bivy really matches those requirements. The REI Minimalist Bivy (Long) comes close. It is a little heavy at 17 ounces and $9 over your limit. I found it works pretty well except in hot buggy conditions.
I personally would go with a DWR bivy with a tarp. The two together can actually be lighter and are more versatile. Maybe something like the Borah Side Zip or Ti Goat Ptarmigan paired with an Integral Designs Siltarp 1. You will be a good bit over your $100 limit with that combination though.
I went looking with about the same criteria as yours last year and ended up getting the MLD eVent Soul.
It is pricey with it cuben bottom and eVent top, but it is 100% waterproof (I did seam seal it, perhaps unnecessarily)and it breaths. Weighs about 10 oz, and can be customed sized.
DW
Thank you all for all the info and ideas and for sharing your experience.
The MLD Soul Bivy: awesome, of course.
I like the Miles Uber Bivy a lot! Though not the lightest, the double Uber Bivy could be an alternative shelter choice for me.
Yes I may have to up my limit…
Out of interest, did anyone ever try the blizzard bag as a bivy? Maybe not so breathable?
http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag
Thanks again.
Paul,
Thanks for your interest. The Uber Bivy is not the lightest, but it is stormproof.
You mentioned the Double Uber Bivy, but the regular has LOTS of room. Is this for two?
Thanks,
Dave
Become a member to post in the forums.

