Topic

Renting a PLB?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedJul 10, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I'm doing the Sierra High Route starting in August. I really want a PLB for my safety as I will be doing this solo for at least part of the trip if not all of it. I might be meeting up with a friend in Bishop later in the trip so some kind of communication ability is important.

Is it worth it to rent a PLB? Or would it be cheaper to buy a PLB and sell it after the trip?
What model would you recommend?

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJul 11, 2013 at 8:31 am

Most PLB's do not allow two way communication; The most reliable ones don't allow any customized communication.

I think ACR and McMurdo's GPS enabled stand-alone PLB's are probably equally good, and sell for about $250 or so. You can rent them for about $40/week from PLBrentals dot com.

I wouldn't buy a used PLB or parachute from a stranger.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJul 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

Ask around.

Maybe we're just better equipped and friendlier in Alaska, but my friends and I loan and borrow PLBs, guns, boats, vehicles, etc all the time.

Perhaps it dates back to Inuit customs (but I don't go THAT far).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...