Topic

Inexpensive wood stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inexpensive wood stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If lightweight and inexpensive enough, I was considering bringing a wood burning stove and using it occasionally, justifying the weight by carrying less alcohol. I dont see any conclusive evidence to support expensive stoves like bushbuddy and the ti-tri are better than the cheaper stoves. In particular, since wood is practically free, there needn't be that much emphasis on efficiency and time to boil – I assume all stoves will be practically equal.

Having said that, does anyone have any thoughts about inexpensive wood stoves, how they compare and why more people aren't using them? Ive seen the following being mentioned from time to time – all are roughly under $30, some are basically free.

J Falks Bushwhacker
    J Falks Compact Wood Stove
    Antig Woodlore Stove
    Ikea cutlery stove
    tjamrog's Evolving Stove

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Miles, there are some factors that may make a difference to you. Some stoves will hold more wood twigs, so you get a longer burn without feeding wood all the time. Some have a very small wood chamber such that long twigs won't fit. Some of these really require the user to practice a little, since some will soot up badly if you don't feed them and work them right.

For what it's worth, I have one from your list and a homemade one. I also have a Ti-Tri Caldera that I purchased later, if that says anything.

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Dirt cheap – drill some holes in a tin can.

Or don't use a stove at all, just build a small open fire and set your pot down on the coals. Just make sure to clean up before you leave.

Joshua B
    BPL Member

@leukos

Locale: Indy

For your price range check out Four Dog's LT Mini for $26. Simple and made of Ti. I wrap it around the outside of my 700ml pot to manage soot.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Make yourself a J Falk type burner.
    They work and it will give you the opportunity to see if you like wood burning stoves or not.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!