Topic

Repair kit question – do I need patches for my inflatable pad?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedJul 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Here's what I'm hoping to take in my repair kit this year:

-2 feet of Gorilla tape (repair broken trekking pole, make a splint, etc.) taped on USPS Priority Mail strip of adhesive backing

-2" x 2" bit of Tenacious tape (to repair pad?)

I really can't think of anything else I'd need in a repair kit. My main worry is: What happens when I wake up and my NeoAir has deflated and I'm lying on cold, hard ground. Am I even going to try to find the leak? Or hike to a lake so I can submerge it in the dead of night? An Exped repair kit I have laying around only weighs 8 g including glue and two patches, but getting this done in the field in time for me to use it is another question.

Just curious what strategies you've employed with good success.

Jake D BPL Member
PostedJul 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm

if the hole is large enough that it is going down very quickly then you will probably be able to hear and feel where it's coming from. mark it with a pen or little piece of tape so you can find it when you deflate it

pinhole type puncture you can fix with a dab of Seam Sealer. it needs to dry for a bit and then you can put tape over it to protect it.

PostedJul 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm

So if I find the hole (by ear) I should add the glue and then maybe the patch or tenacious tape over that? Maybe it's worth bringing the glue that came with the pad then?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...