Topic

Western Sierra Hike Suggestions for Noobs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western Sierra Hike Suggestions for Noobs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I put this in the general category, but thought it might be more visible here. Mods, feel free to move delete, give me demerits, etc.

I have a couple of friends who have been learning about and practicing ultralight backpacking. The issue is, they are a couple and for "her" benefit they typically go to places like Point Reyes or some of our state parks like Henry Coe where there are pit toilets. They've agreed to go to a no-toilet site with me this weekend, and are excited because they have not been to the sierras before.

So my question is – what is the most beautiful hike you can suggest that's within 2-3 hours of San Francisco. I am thinking Aloha Lake from Echo Lake might be nice. I also thought about the alpine lakes around Grouse Ridge, Penner Lake, Loch Leven Lakes, etc. We are all in good shape, but I doubt they want to do more than 12 miles.

Anything I haven't thought of that those who spend more time in the Western Sierras might suggest? Extra points for pit toilets and easy-to-get or not-required permits.

Thanks in advance! I really want to knock these guys socks off so they will join me more often.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Have you considered Mineral King?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

That's too far, unfortunately. I've never been to Kings Canyon and need to make that trip when I have more time. Much appreciated, though. Keep'em coming.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Echo to Aloha is an easy trip with some pretty great scenery. First trip I took my wife on as well. Relatively level hiking with minor elevation gain. This area does require a permit for the Desolation Wilderness.

For an introduction to backcountry potty's it may be a little more problematic. You'll have to find a spot that isn't rock and from campsites near the lake, the areas with enough soil are fairly steep from my recollection. Easy enough to lean against a downhill tree, but I've had practice. You may need to demonstrate for them :P

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

For spectacular, you won't beat Desolation unless you drive further. Permits are not always easy to get, though. And the boat ride can be fun if you go in via Echo – though pricey.

There are some nice spots in the Emigrant Wilderness, and those permits are never an issue – no quotas there. But the best stuff – going south from Sonora pass (or Leavitt Lake if you have a vehicle with good clearance) is sightly longer drive – maybe an hour more than echo.

Grouse Ridge is nice, the swimming is pretty good also, permits are easy, all you need is a campfire permit. Very pretty, not as grand, but lots of lakes in a small area so you can see several lakes with not a lot of walking. Tends to be crowded on the weekends.

Probably Desolation is most likely to knock socks off, but you need to get up there bright and early (like be there when they open) to the ranger station to get the permit. And get off the tail just a little, like go to Pyramid or Waca Lake and they will be sockless for sure.

Matthew Brooks

@dak0ta15

Locale: Bay Area

Desolation is always nice. Really liked Twin lakes (if you can't get a permit for that zone, try Smith lake or Hemlock lake, then you could visit twin lakes the second day and even spend the second night there). The Lyons creek trail was nice too. We couldn't get a permit to go up to the lake, so we camped at Bloodsucker lake (yes it has leeches) in the national forest, which wasn't so bad because unlike desolation you don't need a permit (except the CA campfire permit) and you can have a fire assuming there are no restrictions yet.

We did a day hike to Sword and Lost lakes off of hwy 108 last year and I thought it would be a great place for a quick backpack trip. 6-8 miles round trip I think, lower elevation so the water is nice and warm for a swim (we went in early Aug). And we saw relatively few people (not what you'd get at Desolation), but maybe that is because we went in on a Sunday. Might be in Carson Iceberg so you would need to stop by and grab a permit.

Was up in Emigrant Wilderness on the other side of 108 a month ago. It was great hiking but the mosquitoes were insane. That can change even week to week so you might want to ask someone who has been there more recently.

On the other side of Carson Iceberg off of hwy 4 I did a nice 1 night trip to Bull Run lake.

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

Dinkey Lakes Loop is 7 miles with lots of side lakes and trips to take to make mileage longer or more days out it. Its a mellow uphill and then flat at the top at about 9.500 feet or so. It is just outside of Shaver Lake above Fresno in the Sierra National Forest.

It will take you about 3.5-4 hours to drive to the trail head from the bay area. You can get your permit on the way from the Prather Forestry Station. No charge for the permit and its super easy to get.

Beautiful area, easy hiking, and lots to do and see and very close to the bay area. On teh way out you can stop in Shaver, stop in the deli and tell my sister Shawn Peterson sent you and eat some ice cream or Shaver Lake chunky bread.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

1) paradise lake, 9 ish miles park across from boreal, mostly on pct, has pit toilet at peter grubb hut halfway in, nice viewa, good fishing, easy drive, you will see people

2) picayune valley, 6 ish, in granite chief wilderness, great scenery, short dayhike from main camping area to expansive views, not alot of people, pit toilet at TH, robinson campground, longer drive

3) park at caples lake, 4 ish, end up in granite bowl behind kirkwood, very pretty and easy

I try to avoid desolation as it is heavily travelled and requires a permit, and, i think you are supposed to pack out human waste there. The choices above require no permits.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Thanks so much. I can't wait to try dinkey lakes. Will see if its close enough for Satirday a.m. The other suggestions as well. I need to bookmark this thread for the rest of my summer adventures.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Just took my scout troop to Dinky Lakes three weeks ago. Hardly anyone there, relatively easy hiking, great fishing, quite a few mosquitoes. We had a great time.

The drive to the trail head on the western edge of the area is 4wd, high clearance, and took almost an hour.

4th of July Lake at the Sonora Pass, or Lake Winnemucca, are both great first trip destinations if you can get a spot, and quite a bit closer than Dinky Lakes to the bay area.

p.s. The deli in Shaver Lake is really good too. Cheap by mountain standards.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools