Topic

does a pot cozy make sense for just add boiling water recipes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition does a pot cozy make sense for just add boiling water recipes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I just started a thread asking about very simple, no simmer (just add boiling water) recipes:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=79481

I'm wondering if a pot cozy would be of any use to me in expanding menu possibilities under the no-simmer constraint. Could any experts weigh in on this?

(BTW: I mostly use a caldera cone with a .5l pot. I add food directly to the pot after the water has boiled and eat out of the pot). Actually, would the cone itself act as a cozy if I left the pot in it after I added food to the hot water?

Thanks,

rhz

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I just lay a jacket or stuff sack over my freeze-dried-bag meals during the rehydrate (in the bag, not in my pot). You may worry about adding food smells to your clothing. If you invert a gallon ziplock over the pot and then put a jacket over that you may have your cozy without the smells.

Cozies generally don't affect heat loss that much anyway. We are talking a few degrees difference over 10-15 minutes.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Not to me they don't. I use ramen and it is ready as soon as not burning my mouth.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I'm curious as to why you add your food to the pot and eat out of it? Why dirty your pot and have to clean it? I'm assuming you're sticking with the no simmer method. My pot is for boiling water only and the water gets poured into the FB. I eat out of the FB and usually then burn it. I do have a reflectix type pouch (cozy) for my FB that helps with the long reconstitute recipes and keeps from burning my hands.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Cozies, be for pot or bag, do have a purpose. In the middle of summer you can often get by without one. If you add in high altitude, low temps or long rehydrating items, then a cozy earns its keep.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Dean,

I've never used freezer bags, which I presume are made out of plastic and must give off alot of toxic smoke when burned. In any case, there are numerous fire bans in the sierras this summer. I suppose that the alternative would be the pack out the used freezer bags….

Thanks,

rhz

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Rafi

Think UL!
    I cook in the pot like you, although I add the food to the cold water so I get longer cooking time. Once the dinner has come to the boil I put my hat over it as a cozy. Zero extra weight!

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Long rehydrating items dont enter my menu. Problem solved.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Freezer bags are made of polyethylene, a food grade plastic designed to take heat.

One shouldn't be burning any garbage really….when in the backcountry. Most commercial meal bags are lined btw (be it MH or other brands), the outer shiny mylar like packaging acts as a cozy, the inner lining ensures you don't get taste crossover from the packaging. Old school MH packages used to have the food in a plastic sack, that you slipped a cardboard collar over to seal, then tucked into the metallic outer bag.

Anyhow, point is…when it comes to bags, roll them up tightly (like a cigarette), seal and toss in a garbage sack for the trip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools