Topic

What do you think of Manix Lightweight knife?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do you think of Manix Lightweight knife?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I know a lot of folks at BPL are happy to hike with very small knives or razor blades, and hat's off to you. I strongly prefer a knife with at least a 3" blade. I am contemplating the Spyderco Manix Lightweight and would like to know advantages and disadvantages of this knife, as well as your opinions. It is linerless, which makes it light, but…strong? Thanks.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=797

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

For 3 oz you can get a small, all metal neck knife that you can pound on all day. There is really no reason to hike with a folder other than the convenience of clipping it to your pocket.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

This is less than 3 inches, but it's what I carry: http://www.blindhorseknives.com/lgtigerknapp.htm

Weighs 2.4 oz

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Spyderco makes a great knife, but for the same approximate weight, I'd go with a Benchmade Griptilian. The Axis lock is the strongest available, and the Grip handle is light and incredibly tough. The Ritter Grip offers a better grind for slicing and an upgrade om the steel, although Benchmade's 154 CM is a great user steel.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I've got one of these and I absolutely love it. This is my usual backpacking knife. The blade is big enough for anything you might normally need, and then some, and the locking mechanism is as sturdy and reliable as they come. It also has a very strong detent so the blade will not accidentally open and cut you (better than the Griptilian in this sense).

I have never felt like this knife is weak, but I have never torqued or pried with it. The blade is much thinner than that of the other, heavier Manix models. The plastic handles do have slight flex if you squeeze them hard but no lateral flex at all.

However if you have corrosive sweat or live in a humid environment you may wish to check out the Salt series- less sexy but 100% rust-proof. Since the Manix 2 Lightweight cannot be taken apart, you may find it difficult to polish off rust if you do get any.

I own more than a few knives and this one sees regular pocket time.

Dharma Dog
    BPL Member

@dharmadog

Locale: The Louisiana Swamp

My current folder trail knife is a 1992 Spyderco Endura. The blade is almost 3 inches and it weighs in at 2.75 oz. The current model weighs 3 oz. Very sturdy knife, I've cut down small trees with it.

The Spyderco Air Knife is on my radar. 2.56 inch blade and only 1.27 oz!!

http://www.bladehq.com/item–Spyderco-Air-Gayle-Bradley-Folding–10963

When I want to carry a fixed blade I grab the Chris Reeve Professional Soldier

http://www.knifeart.com/chrisreeveps.html

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

"The blade is much thinner than that of the other, heavier Manix models. "

I did not know that! Not necessarily a bad thing, either. I have some of the heavy duty Manix models and they are beastly stout. A thinner blade would make a better slicer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools