Topic

Killarney’s “LaCloche Silloutte Trail”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Killarney’s “LaCloche Silloutte Trail”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Doug (and others) regarding LaCloche Silloutte Trail,

For a number of reasons this trip intrigues me. I would appreciate some general info that is not obvious on the official sites.

How remote? I am hoping to avoid running across too many drive-in campsites etc.

How busy was the trail in your experience? What time of year were you there?

Assuming the usual mosquito and no-see-um seasons. I'm considering mid-September.

Would you assume bushwhacking opportunities?

Site says 7 – 10 days for 70 km. Seems a little much. What was your experience?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Paul

Patrick Baker

@wildman

This was my first extended (more than a weekend) backpacking trip. I finished it in 4.5 days.

I believe I took this trip around Labor Day (early SEPT).

The trail was not "busy", since permits and the numbers of available campsites limit usage.

Bushwhacking, with all the lakes and all, well I just dont know about that.

Do not remember any issues with bugs, but there were some minor routefinding issues. I hiked clockwise, which saved one of the best views (for me) for the last (the CRACK).

The trail is remote, although accessable by canoe as well as foot.

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

How remote? I am hoping to avoid running across too many drive-in campsites etc.
    -You hike to pre-arranged campsites only you and your party on it. Usually on other sites around for kilometers, ie., the whole lake to your self.
    -no dive in-camp sites on the trail at all
    -it is classified a wilderness park.
    -hiking or canoeing only.

How busy was the trail in your experience? What time of year were you there?
    -you might see 0-6 hikers on the tail a day.
    -I like Aug -Sept, no bugs, warm days, cool nights.

Assuming the usual mosquito and no-see-um seasons. I'm considering mid-September.
    -No problem with bugs in Sept, I don't bring bug juice at all,

Would you assume bushwhacking opportunities?
    -you can, I have not, the trail is, for the most part, well marked.

Site says 7 – 10 days for 70 km. Seems a little much. What was your experience?
    -70 Kms is the way the birds fly.
    -I belive it is just shy of 100kms.
    -I did it in 7 days, but I would like to slow down next time (9 days).
    -The sites, wildlife and experience are some of the best in Ontario.
    -I find in general I am in no hurry to get out of there in general

The trail in pimarily along the ridge of a billion year old mountain range. At one time the mountain where larger than the Rockies.

There is a hundred or so car camping sites at the main gate.

The park is primarliy a canoe park, the trail in September would be nearly empty.

http://www.friendsofkillarneypark.ca/
    (the map & trail book are a must)
    http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/kill.html
    http://killarneyinfocus.com/

All the best,
    Doug

Doug

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Patrick and Doug,

I am working up an itinerary now. Travel, vacations days, ordering maps etc. Allowing for travel I can get 7 trail days in September. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Paul

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Paul,
    Seems this thread ended a while ago, but I just got back from a trip and am checking the new posts. Killarney is my home away from home. I've been hiking there since I was a kid. The trail is amazing, you'll love it. Take 10 days if you want, do it in 3 if you move fast and can hike long hours. I can give you specifics if you want (e-mail me) and there is plenty of off trail hiking aswell. "Secret" trails and roads throughout the park. I've been on the trail in all seasons, winter is great, summer even better. Make the side trip to Silver Peak for a great view and stay on Boundary/Heaven Lake for the gem of sites. If you have some real time to spend, do an off trail hike to Quartzite lake and if you're really ambitous, hike out to Nelly Lake from the North end of the Trail. Again, I can't recomend this trip enough!

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Steve,

Yes, thanks for your offer! Secret routes, off trail hiking, side trips…I'm salivating. I'm pretty stoked to have 9 trail days for a September solo trip and the terrain in Killarney looks inspiring. Going over maps and feel that there's enough time to slow down and smell the roses.

I'm wrapping things up here now to get out for a long weekend to the Pigeon River Forest in Michigan. Going out with my boys for fathers day. There's a nice elk herd and great trout fishing waiting.

I will absolutely contact you as soon as I am back! Thanks again.

Paul

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools