Topic

Banzai! Slickrock Wilderness with Old Friends But No Stiffknee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Banzai! Slickrock Wilderness with Old Friends But No Stiffknee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Its the first weekend of May and 2 months post-surgery on a torn meniscus. I've been in first gear for quite awhile because of the knee, so I'm dieing to get out. My doc has released me to do anything I want "as long as I don't hurt anything." So I talked 3 of my friends into a trip to the southern Appalachians for a weekend trip. After poking around the series of tubes on my computer, I settled on Slickrock/Citico Wilderness on the NC/Tn border just south of the Smokies.

My friend Tim has just discovered UL backpacking and is really interested in getting into it; he's been my good friend since we were 2 years old. Jeremy has been a traditional packer who is working on his weight too; he's also my volleyball partner. Mark is the oldest at 60 and carries a heavy pack; but he's a running machine and in the best shape of the rest of us who average about 15 years younger.

We meet Mark at a little Tennessee town and drive the Cherohala Skyway to Beech Gap to park. Its really a pretty drive that rivals the Blue Ridge Parkway. We take Big Fodderstack Trail on past Big Fodderstack to camp. Rain threatens all day but holds off. We immediately run into plenty of great flowers. These were a few of the trillium we cross in big patches:White TrilliumPink Trillium
    We camp on the Tn side of where trail 84 goes down into Citico. Just next to our site is a large patch of these pink lady slippers:
    pinks
    We have a great night of telling lies and sipping bourbon(we are Kentuckians) and tequila. We hang our food and have a good sleep.
    We see bear scat but nothing else. We see a lot more signs of heavy boar traffic though.
    The next day threatens rain too. We planned to go down to stiffknee trail. It was a bit further and everyone decided we would not tempt fate considering my recent surgery. Instead we take trail 139 down to Slickrock Creek. Its a steep downgrade with lots of flowers. The gems are these blaze azaleas that lined much of the trail:Flame azaleas 1Flame azaleas 2Flame azaleas 3
    We made our way down to the creek and had a nice stop at the 4-level Wildcat Falls:Wildcat Falls
    Some of the rock was polished in a wave-like formation around the falls:Wave
    Since we skipped Stiffknee Trail, we decide to head up to one of the balds for the night. Some other hikers tell us that Slickrock Trail has lots of downfall and iss very difficult. We are trying to decide whether to go this route or not and Tim yells "Banzai! Lets go up" And so we do. We are really glad we take this route, at least early on. About 1/3 of this wilderness is old growth and this trail goes through the heart of it. We walk several miles up a creek, then deep into the hardwood old growth full of oak, maple, poplar, and other big trees:Big Poplar
    We then walk some really nice ridges through the mist:Mist
    Then the trail gets really hard. It becomes littered with old hemlocks that had fallen and obscure the trail. And its steep. And the rain starts falling so hard it's difficult to hear. The upper parts of this trail become pretty tough. No pictures here as the rain is really hard. The rain lasts the rest of the day. We top out on some beautiful grassy balds that I'm sure have great views. But we are socked in.
    We are only about 5 miles from the trailhead by then. We are wet. The rain shows no signs of stopping. We decide to walk the rest of the way out. We make it to the trailhead at dark. The trip was cut a little short but the knee feels just fine.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ben,

I went to school in Boulder and was very Colorado-centric for a while (even though I grew up in AR). My friend from Nashville wanted me to come there and I just couldn't imagine anything in the east rivaling what we had in CO and UT. When I finally went, we did a 3-night trip up Slickrock Creek to Naked Ground and Haoe Bald, starting and finishing near the dam by Tapoco. A flash flood, rhododendron tunnels, lost trails, boot-sucking mud and climbing up slick tree roots and rocks really opened my eyes about other places to hike.

Thanks for the photos!

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Very nice Ben,
    I'm a tree nut so I really love seeing anything that even suggests old growth; love that shot :-) Looks like an area I need to check out someday. Glad to hear your knee did well.
    Thanks for sharing

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Ben

Great pictures and writeup. I did a similar trip back in April with a couple buddies of mine:

Parked at Joyce Kilmer
    Day 1: Hiked up Naked Ground trail to NG and then down Slickrock creek to where several streams converge and camped. (Can't believe you hiked up the upper portion of Slickrock creek trail….."You da man")
    Day 2: Heavy rain trapped us at camp, so zero day. All good times though
    Day 3: Continued on Slickrock to 139 and hiked up to BMT. North on BMT and then over to Stratton Bald. Then down to Naked Ground and camped
    Day 4: Out NG trail to car.

I have hiked a couple times in the area and it is a nice place to get away from the crowds (except for lower parts of Slickrock in warm weather). One of the least hike wilderness areas in the southeast.

If you can lower your standards to hike with a conservative/independent I would love to do a trip this fall.

Take care

Brad

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Ben,

Some nice trilliums there! Thanks for the pics.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

@Steven. It does get a bit mucky down there but really a pretty area. Its not Co.but still not half bad. I spent a little time in Ar recently too. My son goes to school in Conway so we did a 3 day paddle down the Buff. I learned to like Ar too.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

The trees were the highlight of the trip. I have more photos of the flowers because it wasn't raining then. They say that about 1/3 of the area was still not cut when the dam was completed, making it difficult to transport the logs. I think the poplars are the largest but there are lots of other big ones too. The hemlocks,sadly, are. All dieing and falling.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I thought about starting from Joyce Milker too but it was a little extra driving for me and the Cherohala is pretty nice access too. Wish the weather had been better for us in the higher areas but it was. A fun trip anyway. The trail up Slickrock to Naked Ground was a bear but really pretty cool.
    I'll hike Slickrock with you any time. I already lowered my standards by hiking with a couple pretty conservative guys on this trip. Somehow, I've wound up with quite a few conservative friends. I'm afraid even one of my kids is at least partially, and he's my best hiking buddy.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Glad you like them. You'll have to make it out east some day.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I didn't mention any gear, but there were a few standouts. Two of us used my cuben trailstar with a moderate rain at night. Since there was little wind, I tied one end up about 4 feet high for ease of entry. It really provided a lot of room for 2 in a rain shower, even with one corner tied high.
    The lengthy rain gave me lots of opportunities to use my rain gear. I wore a driducks jacket and it worked perfectly. It had a few scratches but I was wearing it over some tough bramble scrambling. I was happy with how it held up. I also wore a zpacks rain skirt. With the cold rain, it did a good job of keeping me dry from about the knees up. I really like how easy it was to slip on too.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Ben,

Great trip report! The Slickrock/Citico area is one of my favorites. Funny you saw pink lady slippers on the Citico. I've noticed that they seem to grow in larger numbers there than anywhere else, even topping the Smokies.

If you enjoy big trees, check out the Falls Branch hike. There is about a 500 acre tract of old growth up there. Tons of huge hemlocks(albeit they were struggling last time I was there), buckeyes, oaks, etc. Waterfall is very nice also.

Ryan

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Thanks, Ryan. We had a great time. There were probably 25 lady slippers in a patch there. Falls Branch? Which one? Seems like every wilderness has one.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Very true! It's in the Citico. Go up the Skyway from Tellico Plains and park at the first Rattlesnake Rock parking lot. Can't remember if its East or West Rattlesnake Rock, but it's the first one you come to. Great little hike.

Ryan

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Sounds great, Ryan. I'll check it out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools