Topic

Umbrellas

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Sean Passanisi BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hello. I’ve searched and found some old threads on umbrellas. I’m interested in hearing the latest on which makes/models people use. This would mostly be for travel, but I’m also considering whether an umbrella is a suitable substitute for rain gear on the JMT. Thank you.

Snow Peak 4.7 oz

Birdiepal Swing Liteflex 8 oz

Go Lite 8 oz

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm

In my experience it's not a suitable replacement for rain gear in a windy rain storm. If you don't mind setting up a shelter and waiting out really bad weather, then I think it would work for you.

It will also protect you from the sun. On a hot day it's really nice to pull out the umbrella during breaks and cool down a bit. There is often very little or no shade at high elevations.

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I'm a fan. Nothing fancy, I have the silver Golite, but it's nice to have when the weather is lots of sun and unlikely rain. Good to seal up a poncho or tarp shelter with too. That said, mine gets more use around town and on day hikes than when miles are getting counted.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Sun: I find the effective temperature is about 10-15F lower when I'm using an umbrella, especially at elevation where the sun is more intense.

Rain: It's not so good in super gusty conditions, of course, but in vertical rain, I like the vastly better vision and ventilation of an umbrella compared to a parka hood. Especially because I wear glasses.

Tom D. BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 11:46 pm

The Raines Skinny Mini is another option, weighs 5.3 oz and costs under $10. I carry it in the local mountains when only light rain is expected. I wouldn't want it as my sole rain gear, especially if conditions could become harsh. I've been in a few storms where I would not have wanted an umbrella as my only protection.

PostedJul 9, 2013 at 2:23 am

Have a look at the range available from the manufacturer of Birdiepal Euroschirm in Germany;

http://www.euroschirm.com/trekking.php?session=bnZy2EYc7hGT4&sprache_land=usa

There's some amusing demonstration videos of a hapless German backpacker in there, poor sucker gets a hammering.

I tried carrying a brolly, even put a Golite Chrome dome on a treking pole, trouble is I kept leaving them behind in a forest/on a mountain top somewhere, still feeling the loss, even now.

Get a good hat with a wide brim for your mossie net, and a waterproof jacket with a full zip for venting. You won't forget them and you'll not notice them/have to fumble around accomodating their presence. Multipurpose and lighter too.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJul 9, 2013 at 6:48 am

I have been using a Golite Chorme Dome umbrella lately and find it suitable for just about anything above 45F but I do employ a little trick. When it gets very windy with the rain, I stop under a stand of trees or bushes and eat an early meal or take a nap. The umbrella paired with my windshirt and trash bag rainskirt pretty much lets me do what I need to do and if i need to I can take out me trash bag pack liner and use that over the windshirt. But then again I don't go into high alpine terrain.

And quick question about the youtube vid, why is the guy using an umbrella but still wearing his heavy rain jacket at the same time? Seem redundant and very warm.

Sara Marchetti BPL Member
PostedJul 9, 2013 at 8:07 am

I've been using the Mont Bell UL Trekking Umbrella. I think it is amazing and well worth the ounces. We pack a lot in high alpine conditions with inclement, sudden weather shifts. It CAN be a little tricky if you carry trekking poles but with a little imagination you can find a way to attach it to your pack so you can use it hands-free. If you poke around the forums you can find some threads that talking about umbrellas extensively. I personally just tuck it under my sternum strap.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1128311

Sean Passanisi BPL Member
PostedJul 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Has anyone tried the "handsfree" attachment for Birdiepal Euroschirm umbrella?

Diane Pinkers BPL Member
PostedJul 9, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Or, has anyone come up with a handsfree method that they like that steadies the GoLite umbrella?

PostedJul 9, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Not hands-free but I bungie the umbrella to my trekking pole so I end up with a wide variety of places to put my hand. So I don't get tired holding the umbrella one way. Can even have my arm down at my side.

John Martin BPL Member
PostedJul 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I listened to the Trail Show Podcast and Disco said the GoLite Umbrella's are manufactured by euroshcirm and half the cost.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...