Topic

UrSack okayed by Inyo

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 10:23 am

I just got off the phone with Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permit Office.

They confirmed that it is legal to use an UrSack…

Bill D

Randy Martin BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 11:16 am

I have an Ursack, For those using it Bear country, I would plan to use the Aluminum liner insert with it.

Art … BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 11:27 am

I have an Ursak with Aluminum liner which I have barely used because it was not approved where I went.
I have always been a bit questioning about the wisdom of that liner.
1. it adds weight
2. my food can still get crushed
3. the sharp edges seemed like they would actually help the bear tear thru the fabric if he was persistant enough

Randy Martin BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 11:37 am

My understanding is one of the key points of the liner is it makes it hard for the Bear to grab it by making the material around it tight. Kinda of like a football player wearing a tight jersey so they are more difficult to grab/tackle.

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I find the insert causes wear areas on the bag and is next to impossible if not impossible to get that last little bit of opening closed up to prevent mice from entry. I have the older version of the green, Kevlar bag. I guess its good I have hung onto it. I think it weighs around 20-21 oz. with the insert. Using just the bag in another week in Desolation, just for fun.
Duane

PostedJul 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Does this mean anything for the rest of california?

Sorry I have no clue how bear resistant container testing works… I was under the impression that only a couple agencies did testing for most all of california's national forest where bear cans are required.

Kevin Burton BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I imagine they throw a huge freaking steak in the bag and give it to a Grizzly in a zoo.

I'm serious actually.. I was reading on the Ursack site that they did that :)

Probably a good idea to give the bear the steak at the end just so that you're not cruel.

Kevin Burton BPL Member
PostedJul 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I don't think cutting it will be practical. It's spectra… not going to cut easily.

I don't carry the aluminum liner. I have a fishing rod… if a bear destroys my food I'll just eat fish until I hike out.

I actually did this for a day a few years back when I underpacked food :)

PostedJul 8, 2013 at 4:10 pm

“Does this mean anything for the rest of california?”

Nope.

“I was under the impression that only a couple agencies did testing for most all of california’s national forest where bear cans are required”

Only one, Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, now disbanded to avoid law suits.

The Grizzly Discover Center does testing for bear containers in general, not specifically for California.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...