Topic

Upper Kern Basin, High Sierra.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Upper Kern Basin, High Sierra.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

A brief report from 5 nights and 6 days in the Upper Kern with Adan Lopez and Tom Kirchner.

Sweeping the Garden: Upper Kern Basin

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nice pics, thanks. Brings back nice memories of my trip with Tom. He's a great guide to the Upper Kern.

If I'm correct, then the pic with the three shelters next to the lake is where Tom and I found an abandoned pack with junk, poorly covered by some ratty tarp. It was more than we could hike out, so we reported it to the Rangers when we finished the hike. If that's the same place, was the junk gone? (Hope so).

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

No junk left Doug, looks like somebody got it.

Tom is definitely an excellent guide up there, he spoke fondly of the trip you two did. I believe he said his first trip into that area was in '74. I was born in '76….

Dave T

@davet

Excellent trip with an excellent guide! Nice one.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Fantastic, beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us, Craig!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Very cool.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Looks epic. The second to last pic reminds me of hiking in Denali. Endless fields of tundra.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Looks like a great trip with a good group of characters. I like the organic approach to the trip's plan. It'd be nice to do a trip that way: no goals, no real schedules, just go on a hike for a few days and let the whims of the group dictate the route and destinations on the fly.

Oh, and your fresh veggies look fantastic. I keep forgetting to pack fresh foods on some of these shorter trips but looking at that photo and thinking back to how fantastic some fresh tomato and onion would have tasted in midst of my hikes drives home the lesson.

Jhaura and I were up that way a little over a week ago; came in from the west side though. Our original itinerary had us passing through the Tyndall Creek and Lake South America areas at some point on Days 2 and 3 but we had to bail on those plans as progress on Day 1 was a bit less than we had counted on and a late thunderstorm on Day 2 forced us to sit out getting up and over our next pass. Oh well, still had a great time and enjoyed excellent scenery. If nothing else, our rearranged plans offered us the chance to take a more leisurely pace for the remainder of the trip.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools