Topic

you are me choose the best quilt possible

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) you are me choose the best quilt possible

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Devin Karch

@darwin13

Locale: NYC

I'm 6' 6'' and wide shouldered. so my size is an issue always.

I sleep hot so a 20 degree quilt is about as hit a rating I would get for the hiking I do.

I want the lightest absolute possible bag rated as close to 20 degrees possible.

So extra long 20 degree LIGHTWEIGHT QUILT. WHAT WOULD YOU BUY?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

The absolute lightest will be from Zpacks, but keep in mind they don't use sorcery to get those weights. They are a very snug fit which seems to fly in the face of your post about being a big guy. Outside of that, you need a quilt with the lightest fabrics and limited features for light weight. Check with Tim at Enlightened and see what he can put together for you.

Ryan

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Enlightened Equipment sells a 20-degree, 850-fill quilt that's 6'6" and extra wide, under 25 oz.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

hammockgear.com can customize if you talk to them. They use 900 fill so it's pretty light and list Argon cloth (.67 0z) as an option. THey might even be willing to work with other cloths and can probably make suggestions. I've heard they have some pretty amazing customer service.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

zpacks' longest quilt is rated 6'6". Unfortunately from the sizing – check out many posts here as well as recommendation to "size up" one size on zpacks itself, depending on your actual body characteristic this size may not actually fit that well for you. If you actually want it cinched around your neck then your feet may be very crowded. Maybe you can get a custom one. At least go for the wide version.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Folks that big just use a bear skin don't they? :)
    Duane

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Zpacks sleeping "bags" are very wide if you consider it a "quilt" and very narrow if you consider it a bag (ie. you intend to zip it up). Mine has no main zipper as I prefer the quilt approach, and it is quite wide in the shoulders and fairly so in the waist – more so than my previous quilts from GoLite et al. It tapers below the knees, so you get a narrow footbox. I got a footbox zipper on mine so I can open it right up when it's hot (such as last night, it's great).

It's true that the Zpacks bags fit a bit short, so you'd want to watch that.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Nunatak Arc Alpinist doesn't get mentioned much anymore, but it is cut wider than many other quilts. My quilt weighs 25.2 oz, but that's with overstuffing (a decision I don't think I would make today just because it doesn't really need it). I haven't compared prices but it used to be a little more expensive than other options, too (although when I bought it, there wasn't EE, Katabatic or ZPacks quilts yet).

Devin Karch

@darwin13

I did say i sleep hot

Devin Karch

@darwin13

So what if i was a hammock hanger and 9/10 times i'd been using it as a quilt in my hammock, does the Zpacks get a little more realistic? However, cant stop thinking about that comment where you need to 'size up'. As there is no bigger size, I dont think its an oiption.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I would suggest an all 10D Revelation quilt from Tim and see about getting a sewn footbox. Going all 10D should drop the weight down to about 23.25 oz, and without the zipper may drop another oz or 2-ish…

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

IF you are truly interested in a Zpacks bag- Call them.
    I have several things in my closet that Joe built that weren't listed on his site.

I just got my 1.0oz Cuben rain pants today- they were unlisted.

I am sure he is willing to at lest look at the X large sizing.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For me it would be the EE Revelation or X that has been mentioned already.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I'd second the recommendation for the Nunatak Arc Alpinist. The largest quilt is rated for 6' 4", but you can get them to make a custom size for your height and shoulder width if you need to. Their quilts are top quality, and conservatively rated.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Katabatic Alsek long wide version

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

+1 for a long wide katabatic alsek
    -James

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"However, cant stop thinking about that comment where you need to 'size up'. As there is no bigger size, I dont think its an option."

Write them an email and ask. They have a really great rep for customer service, and they will probably work with you. For the quilt in your case I suspect the size will only be an issue when you need it zipped up tight in the coldest weather. Still, it is an issue.

Guess you might need to find a cottage shop that has taller people working for it. ;-)

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

I took my 30 degree EE Revelation with 10D shell and liner out for the first time last week. It weighs 19.93 ounces in the 6'6" wide size. Between the 12.8 ounces of down and the 2.5+ inches of loft I would say this is a 25 degree quilt easy. I would consider a custom sized Revelation if I were you, at 6'4" I find the EE 6'6" length barely adequate so I would add 2-4" in length if I were your height. I am very broad shouldered and find the 58" top width just fine. I have a custom 60" wide Revelation X as well and didn't miss the extra width.

Re. Hammock Gear, I briefly had a wide/long Burrow, and it was not nearly wide or long enough. You would need a custom extra wide extra long size from them. The weight would probably be comparable though, I suspect you will find that custom offerings from EE, Zpacks and Hammock Gear to all be within an ounce or so of each other with comparable dimensions and amounts of fill.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

6 ft 5 here but a bit more narrow. I wear a 41 long for a suit coat. I have a 10D inside and out 30 degree Revelation quilt and it's perfect for the Sierra Nevada where I spend most of my time. In the winter I use a Stoic 850 fill cardigan, WM flash down pants and a Down hood to push this thing when temps fall. I went with the long but not the wide. Send them an email, they are great with making sure you get what your looking for when you need it. Customer Service is not a foreign language at Enlightened Equipment.

Jeff

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Have mentioned this before, but often, when we think about quilt/bag length, we don't factor in that, lying down, our feet will be stretching out parallel to the ground a distance which must vary from person to person. So the proper measurement in specifying a custom quilt would be one taken lying down, from the top of the head to end of the toes– not our standing height. Having longer feet, or more flexible ankles, would require greater length.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools