Topic

TT Moment DW pole question

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
James DeGraaf BPL Member
PostedJul 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Could some one explain the different options for the TT Moment DW, including what it comes stock with? Also, if you have one, what pole(s) did you order and why?
Thanks,
James

PostedJul 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm

For $269 you get the Moment fly with mesh inner, aluminium pole and 2 stakes.
That is the No X pole selection in the drop down menu.
You get this :
Moment  DW std

Aluminium X pole add $15 is the above plus the longitudinal X pole for the "freestanding" mode.
like this :
Moment DW plus x pole
Carbon X pole add $32 is for the std set up plus a Carbon Fiber longitudinal X pole
Carbon Arch and X pole, add $40 . Both poles are Carbon Fiber.
The CF arch pole is in fact an hybrid with both aluminium and CF sections.
The radius of the arch is too narrow for a full CF pole.

PostedJul 7, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I have the 'standard' Moment DW configuration. That is, no crossing pole (the one that runs the length of the tent making it free standing) and with the aluminum hoop pole. Life is good, but I do have the hybrid carbon aluminum hoop pole on order as I would like to see a little more stiffness in the setup in gusty winds. Even with guy lines, the alu hoop does let the tent flex around a bit more than I am used to with conventional tents that employ a multi-pole system. Overall an excellent product and on level ground you can achieve a nice taut pitch. Lots of livable space in a very respectable weight. I have the full mesh liner. The semi-solid liner might be good for shoulder season or even winter use, but the fly offers so much protection that the full mesh seems plenty for most applications.

PostedJul 7, 2013 at 7:14 pm

SW Moment interior crossing pole at end exitAs a Tarpttent fanboy you know I have to comment. :o)

My original single wall Moment has been modded to take the optional crossing inside the canopy and back out the apex of the end netting to the small vinyl pockets by the stakes. (See photos)Moment interior crossing pole mod This gives more support for the canopy in high winds and wet snow load.
(I've already got a buyer for my SW Moment when the Moment DW "semi-solid" interior comes out later this summer.)

When the Moment DW with ripstop/mesh inner comes out I'll order it with the standard crossing pole and put the pole inside the fly. This will require a small amount of shortening on the crossing pole and some Velcro cable ties sewn inside the fly at the pole attatchment reinforcements. That's all.

From one experience last winter with a moderate snow load I'd recommend this mod. The tent worked perfectly. My camera … forgotten at home. And cell phone in the car. Don't ask. (aarrggghh!)

BTW, the pole exit holes in the netting are reinforced with a sticky piece of Velcro sewn on and closed (when not using the X-ing pole) with the "hairy" Velcro part sewn only at the top. Holes were (carefully) melted with a hot spike held in Vice Grips.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedJul 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Eric,

Have you spoken to Henry about your mods, if so has he any plans to put them in to production?

Cheers,

Stephen

PostedJul 7, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Stephen,

Yep, Henry and I have talked about them. When I first mentioned the concept here Henry replied that he thought it would not work well. Later, when he saw the photos he liked what I'd done but had no plans to change the Moment crossing pole arrangement.

He did however take an interest in my Scarp 2 mods so I e-mailed him saying he could use any of the ideas. That makes it plain that I don't want any compensation for the mod ideas. I'd be honored if he did use them.

(See the Scarp 2 winter mods in BPL's Winter page. They've been posted just last week.)

James DeGraaf BPL Member
PostedJul 7, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I keep looking for good solo shelters and I keep coming back to this one and my questions have been answered, (and then some) so a big THANK-YOU to all! At 6'1" there are few shelters I've found that'll accomodate a person my size but this one seems promising.
Thanks,
James

PostedJul 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Here's my Moment (SW) with the X-ing pole inside.TT Moment single wall W. crossing pole running inside

You can barely see the interior X-ing pole making a slight bulge in the canopy.

When I get my new Moment DW with the ripstop inner I'll get heavier duty main and X-ing poles from Tentpole Technologies for winter use.

I've never needed my X-ing pole for summer use. Main pole and hiking stick end guy-outs are enough for heavy winds (so far).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...