Topic

Lightest long garment possible? (For sleeping?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest long garment possible? (For sleeping?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I want to wear a very light long-sleeve long-legs garment for sleeping under my quilt.

At this point I have silk long johns that weigh 3 oz on top and 4 oz on the bottom.

Is that about as light as I'll find, or is there lighter?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

my ua base 1.0 longjohns in med weigh 3.2 oz

some silk are about same, depends on size . I wouldnt worry about fractions of an ounce.

Theres always panty-hose.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

You could try Montbell Dynamo wind pants. Or ladies tights. Also some where I think there is a thread about very light dancers tights, but I can't seem to find it.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

3.2 oz top
    3.3 oz bottoms

not much different from your numbers.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Unless you can weave your own body hair into clothing I don't think you will get lighter than what you have going there.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

My size Large Rohan Ultra Silver long sleeve crew weighs 79g,which is about 2.8oz, so not radically less than the weight you quoted, but of course when you get down to such light garments the differences won't be dramatic. Can't recall the weight of the matching longjohns off hand, I'm afraid.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

"Also some where I think there is a thread about very light dancers tights, but I can't seem to find it."

I wonder if you're referring to Sahalie Men's Ultralight Tights? Which are apparently no longer available.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=7073

Found the Rohan here:

http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensBaseLayers_03075?ocode=03075595

Interesting article on tights:

"One very effective option rarely discussed are tights. I’m referring to the same tights runners use in colder temperatures. Compared to standard long-johns style underwear like SmartWool and Capilene options, tights are often lighter or comparable in weight, plenty warmer, more durable, and can be worn as an external or internal garment without scaring fashion conscious hikers. They are an excellent in-between option when SmartWool and Capilene isn’t warm enough, but avoiding full blown insulated pants is desirable. Tights are also a great wicker of moisture and retain some warmth when damp…"

http://jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com/2012/10/real-men-weartights.html

…but they don't seem so lightweight at 8 oz.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I had a Sleep-Silk bag liner that weighed 4 oz. It's *very* thin silk. Once I cut it down into long-sleeve top and full length bottoms, and hand-sewed the garments, they weighed in at 3.3 ounces total, including the original stuff sack. I'm sure I could save a bit more weight if I switched to a different stuff sack.
    Kelly

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

3.3 oz total? Top AND bottom?

"Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!"

Wish I could get similar as a commercial product! I'm not trying to use the longjohns to stay warm, they're primarily to keep my quilt and pad clean!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You do understand that the lighter the clothing is, the less warm it will be right? If you just want something to keep your sleeping bag clean in warm weather (where thicker long underwear would be too warm) and keep your sweaty legs from sticking together, then I see what you are getting at.

I use thicker 8 oz running tights because I find that warm legs= warm core. Running tights are also much more durable than long underwear (tight weave vs soft lofty weave) which makes them slightly less warm for the weight but they won't rip out from the occasional branch or sharp rock.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

"You do understand that the lighter the clothing is, the less warm it will be right?"

Wait…what? Next you'll be telling me gravity makes things fall, not rise.

As mentioned above, I'm looking for a cloth barrier between me and my pad/quilt. A "wearable sheet," if you will. A luxury, for which I'm only willing to pay a small ounce penalty, say…4-5 oz max for top and bottom. Otherwise I'll just wear my dirties to bed. I don't want a "sack," because that defeats the purpose of the quilt.

Tights in cooler weather does sound like an interesting option, will investigate, thanks.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Dude, you really want THIS!. Not sure of the weight though….

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

It's like you READ MY MIND!! And how did you know I wanted the bunny ears and tail?!?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Okay, I'll try to be helpful this time. But only this once.

I hike in an Arcteryx Phase SL LS crew. 3.8 oz. On a longer trip I'll carry an extra one to sleep in, and then a couple of days in wash the one I've been hiking in and let it dry over the day while wearing the 'sleepwear' one to hike in. That night, the clean one becomes my sleep shirt. Rinse, repeat. Both garments are dual use.

For all but the hottest trips (which I usually don't take because I'm a hot weather weanie), I have a cuben quilt liner. Cut just like a quilt, it keeps my quilt clean and dry (and also adds to heat retention without being overly clammy, since I can vent a quilt). Don't know what it weighs, but it's pretty darned light.

Seems you could go in either direction, though the liner and shirt don't help the legs at all.

So not overly helpful….

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Doug is on the right path. Maybe just get a silk sheet that you can clip to the inside of your quilt. Easy to remove and wash, should be exceedingly light if you source a low momme fabric. Or just take a silk liner, cut it in half and hem the edges to keep from unravelling.

Basically instead of wrapping your body, cover the only part of the quilt that contacts your body. Should get you down to 2oz (and this just gave me a new idea to try out myself!).

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

What holds me back from the "sheet" idea is a commitment to dual use if possible. So I'd actually prefer something I could wear; it would be one more layer to don if that unexpected cold snap came through. I guess you could wear a sheet, too, but it'd be more challenging to hike in!

Two ounces, though, might make me change my mind!

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

OK I rounded up. The entire stuff-sack and top/bottom was actually 3.29 oz. It may get a bit heavier — thinking of replacing the ribbon-belt with a few inches of elastic. I put darts in the back of the waistline, so shouldn't need much elastic. And yes, it's specifically to be a liner, not really for warmth.
    Kelly

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I sewed a silk sleeping bag liner, and it finished less than 2.5 ounces.

–B.G.–

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools