Topic

Pants or no pants for those who run HOT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pants or no pants for those who run HOT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"The mesh on the RailRiders runs along the inside of the legs."

Really? Mine must be defective.

Eco mesh

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

+1 Rampart. I got mine on huge sale at the Seattle REI a couple of years ago. I hate dead bird prices and think its worth it on only a small amount of their technical gear. But, I would even pay full price when I need to replace these pants. They are hot and I sweat like crazy but a quick wipe up at camp and all is fresh(ish) again.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I was thinking of my Bone Flat shirts. I don't THINK they have it on the outside.
    I forgot about the two locations on the pants. But it was a funny visual image.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been landscaping my back yard wearing shorts most of the time and my shins have the battle scars to prove it, so I feel your pain!

Ex Officio makes several model pants with UL fabrics. They also offer some with permethrin treatment to battle the bugs.

Other than RailRiders, Solumbra makes (expensive) vented pants: http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/21300

Columbia Silver Ridge pants have a fabric that works well for me with a very dry feel and durability has been good. Their zip-off models have no ankle zippers, so one less thing to kneel on. Giving your pant leg a tug before kneeling is one way to get more slack and clear the zipper from harm's way.

UL tall gaiters are hard to find. I think the trend is to short gaiters for UL use and more armor plated versions for with standing ski edges, snowshoes and crampons. All the coated models will be hot, so that would be one step forward and two back. It sounds like a MYOG project otherwise. Old school gaiters were often made with 60/40 cloth, but they would still be hot. Perhaps Dirty Girl could custom make a tall pair for you?

I liked the tall socks idea for skin protection with some prayer of breathability. Cheap and easy too. The Boy Scouts, British troops and kilt wearers have done it for decades if not centuries.

Over the years, a few manufacturers have made pants with buttons and loops so you could roll up your pant legs with some hope of having them stay up. It wouldn't be hard to add the same to an existing pair.

Lots of durable rain pants, but not light ones. GoLite Trinity pants are 3 layer with heavier fabric in the seat, knees and ankles and are 13.4oz in a medium size (and discontinued). I've been of a mind that cheaper rain pants like Red Ledge and Sierra Designs are basically sacrificial stuff– use 'em, patch 'em and toss 'em. I find Kirkland brand (Costco) rain pants fairly often in thrift stores and they make a cheap sacrificial rain pant option.

Once you get to rain pants, the lighter breathable gaiters are a more practical option for lower leg protection— assuming it is colder when wetter. Outdoor Research has lots of options: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/gaiters.html

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

The RailRiders Eco-Mesh Pants are very light (10.0 oz) with zippered mesh along outside seam of legs. Wear them all the time in humid hot south Texas. Breath well, take a beating and still look good. Have been using my present pair x about 4 years and they are in great shape. If it cools off then zip up the sides and paired with tights in the winter go into the 20's F.
    -Mark

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

However…

In airports the side mesh panel zipper triggers the TSA security machines.

Now IF the mesh panel was on the inside,

and IF the pat-down person was a woman, it would be fun.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ExOfficio Ventr pants. Very light and similar to the Railrider boneflats. I found the latter to fit like a trash bag. Too baggy on me. But the Ventr fit good and breath well. They are now my go to summer hiking pants because I dislike getting my legs scraped up and hate putting on sunscreen.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I love my Arc'teryx Rampart pants as well. They are comfortable under a lot of varying conditions, I just wish I hadn't gotten them in a muddy green color. I don't think I've ever worn a pair of pants that came close, although I do also like the Prana Zion Stretch (heavier, but less techy looking).

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools